5 Spring Break Plans That AREN'T The Beach
Spring Break

The beach isn't the only worthwhile destination to consider for spring break.

77

Sun, surf, and sand: an ideal combination that draws thousands upon thousands of college students to the beach every spring, but that may not be the only worthwhile destination to consider for spring break.

Road trip to see the wildflower blooms out west

If you're a flower fanatic like me, the news of the rare wildflower blooms across Texas and California must've sent you into a frenzy, too. Every day, I read another article about the post-drought paradise that has recently sprung up across the southwestern part of the states. To be honest, a road trip wouldn't be my first choice for a vacation, but a road trip to see flowers sounds like a dream. Just know, if you plan on making the drive, I'll stow away in the trunk to tag along.

Weekend trip to visit/surprise out-of-state friends

Spring break schedules scatter across the months of March and April for much of the nation's colleges. As it goes, your out-of-state friends' and your break will almost never line up. Even colleges within the same state often have varying break schedules. So, the likelihood of planning a vacation to the beach altogether is slim to none. Why not surprise them for the weekend??? (Or possibly, give them a heads up beforehand). Either way, I know I miss the heck out of my high school friends and would be so overjoyed to find a weekend to hang out. Even if nothing majorly eventful happened, just seeing a movie and grabbing dinner would be worthwhile.

Take a day trip to a state park

While I wouldn't typically consider myself to be an outdoorsy gal, I've been on a couple of hiking/camping trips that I'd plan again. Although most people probably aren't park experts when it comes to their own state, Google is just a tap away. You may be surprised to find out just how many state parks are in your state. Also, some of them may very well be close enough for a day trip. Round up a small group of friends and head outdoors for some fresh air and nature. Plus, I'm sure there'll be plenty of scenic locations to snap a pic for the 'gram.

DIY projects

Has your Pinterest board been filling up since Thanksgiving? Who said you have to leave the house to make the most of break? Personally, I'm fully content with spending my free time working on projects. There a few feelings more rewarding than finishing a long-awaited project. Painting is my hobby of choice, but there are so many other crafty hobbies and creative outlets out there. Why not take some time to create a new piece for your apartment?

Pick up shifts at a food kitchen or animal shelter

No, this idea may not be vacation-related, but it's certainly a great way to fill the time. Gather a group of friends and head to the local animal shelter to walk the dogs, or possibly, organize a group shopping trip to pick up groceries for a local food bank. Maybe, even consider signing the group up for a few lunch or dinner shifts at your local soup kitchen. Yes, you may want a break over spring break. However, the day-to-day struggles people face don't provide them the luxury of taking a break. You can have your downtime, but there are plenty of hours beyond your relaxing to put towards a good cause.