Maybe It's Not Such A Bad Idea To Listen To The Preachers Who Visit College Campuses

Do we ever stop to think how preachers on college campuses got to where they are?

431

College is full of many new experiences. You really learn who you are and are molded into the person you want to be for the rest of your life. It is a time of confusion, that is eventually sorted out. Relationships, careers, and the future. Perhaps one of my largest perplexities has been religion or lack thereof my religion, and what comes after this life.

I had previously ignored all the sign-waving preachers, politely declined the pocket-sized bibles, and walked quickly past without making eye contact. The people sharing their religion just blended into the backdrop of college. They are always there, usually a new face with a similar message of salvation and God. Students usually view these preachers as something to yell at or ignore. It may be hard to fathom that these messengers are actually people with personal lives in which they have encountered similar questions like we have.

One afternoon, I was offered a pamphlet by a gentle woman with a great smile on her face. I usually do not accept these but decided to be respectful. As I sat on the bench and watched two other men discussing religion nearby, I saw many students declining her handouts, or taking them and then throwing them in the garbage almost immediately after. I wondered "why does she waste her time trying."

After some inquiry, I found out the woman's name was Patte Smith (pictured below) and she is a frequent visitor to college campuses, abortion clinics, parades, and other public areas to spread her message of love and God. She grew up in a Catholic home but didn't truly believe at the time. Smith described her young self as "Godless". She didn't truly feel her belief in God until her friend gave her a bible as a gift. After reading, she felt enlightened. "I felt as if the Bible was reading me," Smith recalled.

College campuses are one of her many favorite places to talk about God and the message she is trying to spread. "Students are in a subjective state in their lives," Smith pointed out "Everyone is getting information on all kinds of things, and reading books." She writes some of her own pamphlets, and some are donated by churches such as the Cornerstone Church of Orlando, Florida. "I try to carry a variety of writings to share, they all answer different questions," Smith said regarding her writings. Patte travels with her husband, Scott Smith, who preaches full-time. On this particular trip to The University of South Florida, they arranged to get their word out with their friends. Jimbo Mullen, a previous wrestler turned preacher, from the local area. As well as two other friends who flew in to meet them from out of town. They often meet others to get their message out together.

College campuses are notorious for not-so-peaceful messengers of religion. The ones that yell and argue with students in disrespectful fashions, can give all street preachers a bad reputation. Smith feels that strong beliefs in God are okay, but there is not a need to add things or make a scene by yelling arguments. She is careful who she partners with to share the message.

When it comes to getting others to see her point of view, Smith thinks it is up to us, the students to decide. "God taught his disciples by first preaching in front of them, and then letting them do it by themselves," Patte stated. "We have to overcome evil with good." Smith believes we should be "Aware (of a God) but not forced (into believing)."

My point is not that you have to become religious overnight, or that you have to believe in God. Personally, I've never been very religious either. But it is important to listen open-mindedly to what others have to say and keep your cool when others do not believe in the same things as you. Although there are some messengers with a harsher or less peaceful speech, there are a lot of people who are legitimately passionate about what they believe and share. There are more to these messengers than just arguments and miniature Bibles that sit in your backpack forever. They are more than the everyday backdrop you rush past. They're people too, with wisdom and beliefs to share. They are us.

If you are interested in learning more about the Smith's, in particular, you can watch a documentary on them and other street preachers on their website: http://schoolmasterministries.com/media/