How To Spot Toxic Friends As Told By Regina George

It's 100x harder to see from the inside looking out

163
Elizabee

Toxic people are all around us. We become friends with them, partners with them, and more because we simply don't realize they are toxic before it is too late. These people can consume lives and ruin relationships with other friends and family members . Knowing how to spot out these people is extremely important.

1. They can not simply be happy for you

Got a new tattoo? They will probably point out that it's too stereotypical. Choose a graduate school? They will tell you that the _______ program that you want to do is terrible. This person will find pin size issues in every good news story that you have; trying to make you have doubts about whatever you were excited about. There's a cloud for every silver lining...right? Wrong.

2. They always have to "one up" your story

This person hates that you are the center of attention for even a few minutes to the fact that they have to make a story better than yours. Proud of yourself for drinking 6 drinks at the bar? They tell you that 6 is weak and that they had 7. Go on a week long vacation to the beach? They stayed on the beach for a whole summer and clearly know WAY more about the beach than you ever will.

3. They lack empathy

Have plans with this person but get stuck at work? Don't expect them to understand. These people are hard to cope with change, especially when you have plans with them.

4. Everything is about them

This person is an attention seeker in all aspects. If you don't agree with them on something, prepare for an argument until you agree with them. If you have a story to tell and they aren't in it? They will probably get bored and cut you off with a story about themselves.

5. They are quick to point out your flaws

Most friends poke fun at insecurities, but these people poke with the intention of deflating self-esteem. The jokes these people use aren't in the same nature as the light-hearted joking that true friends use. They will put you down and make sure you agree with them.

6. "Friendship whiplash"

This concept is extremely true with toxic women. Victims get tossed back and forth about whether their friendship even exists with the amount of arguments that happen between them. One day they are best friends, the next day, the toxic person decides she hates them for no reason. The cycle repeats until the toxic person is removed.

7. They pressure you to do things that you don't want to

You don't want to go on that vacation? They will argue with you until you want to go. Want to take a break from drinking at the bars? They will make you take more shots with them, even if you say you feel sick.

8. They refuse to change

If you ever muster up the courage to tell them about a character flaw that they have, they will never change. They refuse to ever accept that they are wrong, so anything you tell them is a "lie" anyway. Having a real, meaningful conversation with them will rarely ever happen.

9. They exhaust you

You get anxious before you hang out with them, and want them to leave before they are ready to. Their personalities simply wear you out.

10. They know how to manipulate you

They know exactly what buttons to push, how to push them, and the right times to push them to make you weak. This person needs you to be weaker than them so they can be the friend that supports you. They have to be in charge because "what person would leave such a 'supportive' friend/spouse"? The truth is, they are the ones that caused the pain in the first place.

11. They are "fair weather" friend

When they lack empathy, it's hard for them to be there for you when you really need them. Instead, these people are only around when they want to be around or when they need something.

12. They love to argue

Instead of being someone who avoids conflict or steers towards conflict resolution, they love to stick in the "arguing" stage. They are never wrong in their eyes, so fighting with someone is always fun.

13. You can't like the same things they like

If you both like the color teal, you have to like purple because chevron is HER thing. If you both like the same sports team, you need to like a different team because they liked the team first and you are just copying them. It's like you've traveled back to middle school behavior.

14. They try to control who you hang out with

This person will get infuriated if you hang out with someone who they don't like. Bonus points if they throw a fit.

Cutting ties with these people can be incredibly painful, but is crucial to having a future of your full potential.