27 Things All Speech Team Kids Know To Be True

It's the coolest extracurricular you can join.

2284
Worpress

Speech Team isn't exactly the most popular activity, but if you weren't part of this team in high school, you were missing out. Not only did it help you develop some amazing public speaking skills, you made some great friends and lots of memories from the tournaments. Whether you're still in Speech or not, here are some things that all Speech Team members have experienced at some point.

1. Nobody knows what the Speech Team is.

Some classmates even think it's for kids with speech impediments.

2. Your memorization skills are flawless.

If you can memorize a 10-minute script in half an hour, you can memorize anything.

3. Cutting a speech can be a nightmare.

Trying to fit the time limit can be very stressful.

4. Writing intros is the worst...

Finding creative ways to introduce a speech without wasting time isn't exactly easy.

5. ...But hand gestures are a close second.

You thought your gestures were poetic and meaningful, but it probably looks like you're having a muscle spasm.

6. When the character pops are nice and clean.

Mmm, that's some good stuff.

7. Your coach is one of your favorite teachers.

There's a chance you'll never have him/her as an actual teacher, but nonetheless, you guys are tight.

8. There's nothing like the feeling of wearing a new suit.

The term “dress to impress" is extremely vital when you're in Speech.

9. You sacrifice WAY too many Saturdays.

“Who needs sleep?" you say to yourself as your alarm goes off at 5:00 a.m. so you can make it to the school by 6:30 a.m.

10. Bus rides are interesting.

All you want to do is sleep, but somehow you end up having a dance party in the back of the bus.

11. You have “friends" from other schools that you only see at meets.

Sometimes you know them by name, but usually, you call them by the piece they're doing that season.

12. Finding your room is a journey.

You don't have to worry about getting your steps in for the day.

13. Talking to walls...need I say more?

Because talking to each other before rounds is so unusual.

14. We're all sick of that one piece.

You know...the piece that someone did at nationals a few years ago and now there's at least one other person doing it at every meet? You could probably perform it in your sleep at this point because you've heard it so many times.

15. Non-interpretation categories = Puns.

How else are you going to keep your audience engaged?

16. Mentally ranking the other speakers during rounds is perfectly normal.

“OK, so the blonde chick definitely got a 1 and I think I got a 2, so that leaves either the tall guy or the girl with glasses with a 3."

17. Sitting in a round of dramatic interpretation is like one big crying fest.

Unless you're in drama, because you're immune to it.

18. Stone-facing people during humorous speeches is strangely normal.

“Make me laugh. I dare you."

19. Your judges can go from 0 to 100 real quick.

Your first-round judge can be really critical of your piece and give you a 1, but then your second-round judge would write “good volume," then give you a 5.

20. The people who triple enter are the scariest.

These are the upperclassmen who are amazing at Speech and are unstoppable in all three of their categories.

21. Food has to wait until after the third round.

Because who has time to eat in between rounds?

22. Waiting for final postings can be really horrible.

They hang up the posters in ten-minute intervals, but it's never your category.

23. Waiting for awards is just as bad as waiting for final postings.

Sitting in a crowded auditorium doesn't calm your nerves.

24. Standing up on stage with the other finalists is both exhilarating and awkward.

Everyone's eyes are on you, so nothing will go unnoticed.

25. It feels pretty good when you win first place.

You've earned it! (Even if you believe you don't).

26. When the season ends, the search for next year's piece begins.

You need to start generating ideas now before you forget! The possibilities are endless (until your coach tells you that you can't perform any of the pieces you found).

27. You wouldn't trade your experience for anything.

Where would you be without your amazing team?