How To Speak English, Finally

How To Speak English, Finally

The "How-To" you've all been waiting for

58
How To Speak English, Finally
Learning English With BeGlobal on YouTube

We all can agree that English is a universal language. It is also the same language we all face when we encounter a blank Word document and whisper to ourselves, “What is words? I English do good.” This epidemic not only happens to people who speaks English as a second language but also people who speak English as their first language. In order to improve your English, here are some steps to become a better English speaker.

1. Learn A Different Language

It is a bit of a stretch to start a new language when you speak English. However, it will benefit you if you learn a new language that you can follow. In fact, according to Anne Merritt of UK Telegraph, learning a foreign language will help “Improve[s] the functionality of your brain by challenging it to recognize, negotiate meaning and communicate in different language systems.” It boosts your ability to solve various problem-solving situations like reading a map in Korean, asking directions to the Eiffel Tower in French, or telling someone to piss off in Hindi. It also helps improve your memory skills and English, especially grammar.

2. Go Back To Basics

Speaking of grammar, it’s all about going backwards. If you do not want people to call you out for being grammatically wrong, go back to number two. It is all about learning the basics. It may be annoying to relearn fourth grade level English lessons, but they are worth it.

3. Don’t Be a Grammar Snob

This is very essential when you want to learn English. While, yes, it does become troublesome when you see a comma in the wrong place or the word “is” is misused for a particular sentence, do not try to look down on the person or yourself. It is a mistake. We all make mistakes. Instead of trying to dress yourself up as some kind of police patrolling anything grammatically wrong when you are also having grammar problems (have you seen your comments on Facebook lately?), take a step back and read your work. Find anything you think doesn’t sound right or make sense. If you need help, you can always refer to a handbook with grammar lessons and instructions on writing a sentence. If you don’t have one, there’s always Google.

4. READ

I know there are some people who do not like reading big thick books, but there are others who love big books and cannot lie. You special bookworms can’t deny. Reading will expand your knowledge and find new words to use for your daily conversations. Because reading is fun for everyone!

5. Look Into The Mirror

And punctuate your words! Start talking to yourself in front of the mirror and see how you use your words. Yes, no one would care about how you shaped your mouth when you talk, but it is important to make sure you see yourself making expressions like happy, sad or sassy as well as hearing yourself talk. Remember, practice makes permanent.

6. Meet New People. Yes, that means socializing

After all that training and practicing in front of the mirror, you now are ready to interact with the outside world. Society! Also known as humans. Talking to other individuals not only can boost your social skills but also an additional practice communicating and improving your English along the way.

7. Listen. Be Patient.

Face it: we are terrible listeners. We tend to forget what we said to another person or to ourselves. We interrupt one’s conversation and move on to our story. How does this benefit your English? Listening to what the person has to say and their story is the key to communicate better. You hear and learn from the person who speaks the language. The more you listen to the speaker, you will discover new language and structure that you can use on your daily practice.

8. Don’t Mock an Individual’s Accent

Imagine yourself going to a party a friend invited you to. That friend introduces you to their close friend who happens to look different than you—Asian. From eyes to the way they smile, you can’t help but speak in what you think is their “native” language. That moment is where you stop. No matter how you get excited about talking to a person, do not make fun of someone’s accent. Even if you use a specific accent like Chinese, do not attempt to use it in a way to make fun of someone. That will break step numbers 1 to 7. You may never know who you run into. Reframe from teasing their Asian friend or only talk to them with an accent. And whatever you do…

9. When Speaking to Someone Who is Asian, Do NOT Comment On How Good Their English Is.

Not every Asian person immigrated from a different country. Some of us are born and raised in an English-speaking country like Untied Kingdom, Australia, Canada and America. Some of us speak English as a second language like our parents. Some of us had to learn English because our parents were afraid that we would get made fun of or need to survive here. Living a better life for our families and us. Also, if you shouted, “Go Back to China,” we will kick you in the shins and shout, "Merica!” Because you don’t say that to those who identify as Asian.

10. Or Any Person Of Color

Because that’s racist.

11. Finally,

When you put ice on that shin and restart these steps, always remember: “The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.”