Spartans Will Fight To Make MSU Better For Future Students

I want the future & current students of MSU to not be afraid of predators, to have faith in their leaders, and to be proud of their school.
206

Michigan State University, has made headlines these past couple of months for the horrific abuse of young female athletes at the hands of Larry Nassar an ex-employee of Michigan State. What this man did to these women, is sickening and unforgivable.

The number of victims keeps climbing and these are just the ones who have agreed to come forward. He has officially been sentenced to 40-175 years in prison for these heinous crimes. Many of us students here at MSU, have watched the victim impact statements last week and this week and we are truly appalled that USA Gymnastics and Michigan State did little to help those who came forward.

The fact that our President showed up late to the trials and when asked by a victim to come to her impact speech replied that she "did not have time in her schedule" is shameful and embarrassing. 14 MSU staffers were told of these incidents and yet they did nothing to help either.

As Aly Raisman boldly stated in her impact speech, "If over these many years, just one adult had listened, and had the courage and character to act, this tragedy could have been avoided". As a student here at Michigan State, I am so deeply sorry that this happened and that people who claim to be "good people" at USA Gymnastics and our very own "Spartans" did not help you put an end to your nightmares.

As a current student, I will remember this tragedy and how it impacted my remaining time here at Michigan State University. While there are no words to describe the disbelief I have that this happened for so long and so close to home, I ask that we take action to prevent this from happening again. I love Michigan State University and I am proud of everything I have achieved here both academically and socially.

I want the future and current students of MSU to not be afraid of predators, to have faith in their leaders, and to be proud of their school. I want those future students to continue to make this place special and have memories here that will last a life time. Yes, this will taint the school's image much like Penn State's image, but if Penn State has taught us anything from their Sandusky case, it's that as a community we are so much more than this.

In order for us to rise from the ashes, we need a leadership that we can trust. We need people who will enforce that every employee must go through a background check, people who will help when there is an issue instead of turning a blind eye, and most importantly people who want to make this school a safer and better place for current and future students. Spartans Will continue to fight to make our school a better place for all those who did/do/and will call this place home. Thank you to all the brave women who came forward, without you, we would not know that we had a predator in our midst. Our thoughts and prayers go to the victims and their families during this time and know that the MSU student community supports you all.