sparknotes instagram funny

All right, everyone, stop what you're doing, and go check out Sparknote's Instagram.

That's right. Sparknotes, the life-saver for everyone who both went to school and didn't have "time" to read that one Shakespeare play they forgot. They have an Instagram page, and spoiler-alert, it's the funniest nonsense I've read in a hot minute.

I don't usually get on Instagram, being thoroughly illiterate in all things social media, but I stumbled across this Buzzfeed article introducing me to the lovely world of lit memes. Several hours of countless scrolling and chuckles later, I've read through every single one on their page.

As an English major, I understand about 96 percent of the references made in their posts. As a lover of the weird, obscure humor of puns and memes, I found these highly worth my time. The following are twelve of my top favorites I stumbled across, for your educational and humor-al development.

You're welcome.

1. When whaling was no one's first interest

My first exposure to Herman Melville was in college when I took a whole course devoted to him. As a part of it, I was assigned the entire novel of Moby Dick, and I now know so much about whales, it's ridiculous.

There are entire chapters about the uses of whale blubber. Yes, more than one chapter talks about whale blubber.

It may have been cool at the time, but now, I'm making a face like Kevin and saying, "Come on, Herman, why you have to do me like this?"

1. When Romeo was clearly on the rebound

It's been a moment since I've read Romeo and Juliet. However, the plot is a little hard to forget: two lovers are thwarted in the pursuit of love and happiness, lots of people die, and another Shakespearean tragedy is finished.

However, one part of the plot that's often forgotten is the fact that Romeo had another lady love at the beginning of the play. Rosalind, unfortunately, doesn't return Romeo's affection and basically dumps him, freeing him up for the romance of his life (literally).

This all happens within the span of a couple acts, so one could definitely say Romeo is rebounding something hard.

3. They're super subtle...

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard is a pretty confusing play to follow. It's like a crazy, behind-the-scenes look at a performance of Hamlet if Hamlet was actually kind of real life, and there were two completely random people in it.

Like I said, it's a bit hard to understand. Let it simply be known that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are incredibly weird and not subtle in the slightest. They are definitely the last people to trust with any covert operation.

Highly relatable, if you ask me.

4. Good guess

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is a classic that most of us had to read in high school. I've recently had to re-read it for a class (so is being an English Ed major), so I've definitely picked up on a few important metaphors I missed the first time I read it.

The one commonality between the two times, however, is this specific part of the plot. Boo Radley was my first guess in that mystery, and I couldn't believe Scout could think any different.

For this second reading, though, I cut her some slack. She is only eight, after all.

5. Toby = Tom

There is nothing more perfect to describe Tom Buchanan and Jay Gatsby's relationship than to compare it to Michael Scott and Toby's relationship on The Office.

6. Mama Bennet don't care

While Pride and Prejudice isn't my favorite Jane Austen novel, it's definitely a goody. Tons of commentary on class, a subtle dick joke or two, and lots of female empowerment provided by the novel's leading lady, Elizabeth Bennet.

She calls her marriage-crazed mom out a couple times in the novel. Each time, however, Mrs. Bennet won't hear of it, thinking throughout the novel that she's only doing what's best for her daughters and, more importantly, herself, her livelihood, and her nerves.

7. If you know, you know

So, the Greek myth of Icarus and Daedalus is not the most well-known piece of literature and definitely not the most well-known Greek myth. Even so, it's been referenced extensively in paintings and literature by Shakespeare and Chaucer.

Moral of the story is that Daedalus and his son, Icarus, are attempting to escape a prison in Crete by flying away on wings made of feathers and wax. Daedalus warns Icarus not to fly to high, Icarus is sassy, and Icarus ends up flying too close to the sun, melting his wings, and plummeting to his death.

Great story, right? Lots of good lessons, though, like, "Don't be a butthead to people just trying to help" and "Understand that wax melts in the sun and you can't float."

8. Gatsby making no sense

The Great Gatsby is fraught with people who seem good but are actually quite terrible. Daisy is one such individual. However, almost as bad as that is Gatsby's reaction to Daisy's blatant hit-and-run.

Though, I'm not sure how I'd react to my bae mowing over some lady. Some food for thought, I suppose.

9. Mr. Darcy isn't too good at flirting

Like I said, Pride and Prejudice is pretty amazing for many reasons. This bromance is definitely one of them. Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy are the epitome of yin and yang. Mr. Bingley is warm, friendly, a little spacey, and immediately gets the girl.

Mr. Darcy, not so much.

10. Yas, queen!

Have you ever read Macbeth? These are some accurate words.

11. Iago being sassy

I first read Othello in high school, and I couldn't believe how normal Iago was in front of everyone when the reader (or watcher, depending on how you're absorbing your Shakespeare) clearly knew he was the evil mastermind.

It's like when you're watching a show and the character says, "Oh, yeah, everything's fine," and a voice-over says, "Things were definitely not fine." Same reaction. Everything is not fine, Othello.

12. Elizabeth claps back

To be fair, Mr. Darcy did botch his first proposal. How are you going to go insult a girl's personality AND her family and expect a "yes" to that?

Rookie move, Darcy. Rookie move.