going to NYC

10 Reasons Why Southerners Do NOT Belong In New York City

Visiting New York brings new experiences.

3329
Megan Parsons

I just returned from a trip to New York City with my parents and sister. Growing up in a small town makes you used to certain customs. You grow accustomed to unhealthy (but delicious) food, hospitality no matter where you are and an appreciation for where you grew up. Visiting New York is a different experience, but it allows you to see a new way of life - one that appreciates all cultures, is inclusive and challenges you to see the art in everything. New York opens your eyes for sure, but you can't help but miss the south and the customs of it. Here are 10 reasons southerners will feel they don't belong in the Big Apple.

1. You're used to talking to everyone

oh

In the south, we talk to everyone and start up conversations anywhere. The lady next to you in line, the man at the cash register, the couple sitting next to you at dinner - we speak to everyone. In NYC, it's not that way at all. If you start up a conversation with the lady sitting next to you on the subway, you'll end up getting a look like the one above and will be labeled as a creep.

2. No southern food can be found

food

In the south, we fry everything: chicken, okra, eggs, pork chops, heck even turkeys on Thanksgivings. We love biscuits for our breakfast and love sausage gravy. Hardly any of this can be found in New York. I'm all about the cuisine in New York, I wish we had a lot of it here in the south. However, if you go to New York and don't want to try new foods - you won't enjoy your experience.

3. Where are the free refills?

New York is EXPENSIVE. One of the biggest surprises is that it is hard to find places that will give you free refills. We love our Coke here in the south, but only expect to drink one glass at restaurants if you don't want to pay for a refill!

4. If you're walking shoulder-to-shoulder, it's probably not to a football game

Megan Parsons

In the south, especially in the SEC, football is life. Our Saturdays are dedicated to the game and usually, that's where we encounter the most crowds is walking to a game. However, crowds are the norm in New York. You'll see piles of people walking to get on the subway or see a certain site. Expect the crowds, just imagine it's walking to a football game and you'll feel right at home!

5. English is more than likely the second language

what

New York is a melting pot and it is great learning about other cultures, but you'll be standing on a street and hear two different languages other than English. It's not a bad thing, but your face will look the above gif most of the time!

6. Wait, how does this public transportation thing work?

spongebob

New York has so much stuff everywhere. There's 5th Avenue and Broadway and Times Square and Wall Street and so many streets and you're just... confused. And to make matters worse, you're going to have to take public transportation because there's no way your southern self is going to drive in that madhouse of a city. So then, you'll have to figure out how to navigate the subway or the busses, or how to hail a taxi. It's overwhelming. My advice is to find an app that navigates you around and pay close attention to the subway signs!

7. No reservation? Sorry, no service. 

Small-town southerners aren't used to making reservations. Usually, if my family wants to go eat, with the exception of a fancy restaurant, we can show up the day of walk in for a moderate time wait (like 30-ish minutes) and be served. Don't expect this in New York. If you don't have a reservation, you'll be waiting for 1.5-2 hours. So remember, always make a reservation!

8. Where's the grass?

Jay-Z had it right. It is a concrete jungle where dreams are made of. Us southerners are used to having grass beside our streets and within pretty close distances. In New York, with the exception of Central Park, it's rare to find any grass patches.

9. Baby, it's cold outside, and I ain't used to it!

The south is pretty warm. Depending on where you live, you may never see under 20 degrees Fahrenheit in the heart of winter. In New York, colder temperatures during the winter are the norm. If you aren't prepared for heavy coats and sweaters and multiple layers, NYC may not be for you!

10. Honking is used as "hurry up" instead of "hey, how's it going?"

honking

Honking in NYC is typical. Taxis and all vehicles are constantly honking, but it's not in a friendly way. It's more of a "get out of my way" or "hurry up" type. In the south, we are constantly honking. If I pass Miss Betty from the General Store, we honk to say "hey, how's it going?" New York's honking is sure to make you realize you're in a place way different than the south!

New York City is a place where dreams do come true. But, it takes some getting used to. For southerners, it is an eye-opening experience. However, it's important for us to remember there's nothing wrong with new experiences!