Southern Africa: What to Expect When Visiting Mana Pools National Park

Zimbabwe is a beautiful safari destination. It is also not as crowded as other African countries such as Botswana and Zambia.

26

.

Zimbabwe is a beautiful safari destination. It is also not as crowded as other African countries such as Botswana and Zambia. Zimbabwe's appeal lies in its natural beauty and authenticity. This is the case even at Mana Pools National Park.

The reserve is home to a diverse biodiversity. It is also one of Africa's least developed national parks. It is the perfect place to explore the wild, unspoiled side Africa.

Mana Pools' natural beauty doesn't necessarily mean it lacks top-quality safari accommodation. It has exceptional bush camps and luxury lodges that can cater to all budgets.

A Mana Pools safari offers a unique safari experience. The Zimbabwean national park offers open-air safari tours. It also offers walking and kayaking safaris.

This safari spot in Zimbabwe will make you fall in love Africa. Continue reading to discover the hidden gem Mana Pools National Park.

Climate

Mana Pools are generally hot and warm. Winter season runs from mid-May through mid-August. Nights and mornings can get chilly at 12°C (54°F). At 28degC (82degF), the days are sunny and warm. August through October are the hottest and driest months. Temperatures can soar to 40°C to 50°C (104°F - 122°F) November is the month that sees the first rains. These bring with them high humidity levels. The peak rainy season is December to February. This usually includes afternoon thundershowers and steady drizzle that can go on for days. The average temperature ranges from 21degC to 31degC (70degF to 88degF).

March and April are marked by a slowing of rains, and evenings and mornings become cooler. Average temperatures are 19degC-31degC (66degF-88degF). It all depends on where you are located in Mana Pools. The altitude can vary greatly, from 335m to 1,181m above sea level (between 1,098 and 3,875mt). This can also affect temperatures. You will get cooler the higher you go.

The best time to travel

The peak of the dry season at Mana Pools (July-October) can be too hot for some, but it is still the best time to view wildlife. This area is a haven for wildlife, as many animals congregate around the perennial water sources. Mana Pools can be a very rewarding place all year. It is remote, scenic and offers amazing outdoor and adventure safari experiences.

Wildlife

Mana Pools is known for its large herds of elephant and buffalo. Wild dog may be possible as there are many resident packs. You will find crocodiles and hippo in the waterways. Birdlife is also exceptional. Mana's elephants are known for standing on their hind legs and reaching high up into Acacia Albida trees to retrieve the apple-peel-like pods, which are protein-rich.

How to get there

Self-drive is possible, but it's about five to six hours from Harare. We recommend that you drive a 4x4 vehicle and have an experienced driver. The conditions can be difficult, especially during the rainy months. Flying in from Victoria Falls, Harare or Kariba is usually preferable.

Accommodation

There are many excellent options for tented safaris, from affordable to luxurious, in addition to the national parks camps. Private lodges are staffed with highly skilled guides who can help you discover this fascinating, wild safari destination. We've personally been to many of these areas and can offer impartial advice as to which option is best for you.

Mana Pools Safaris

Mana Pools National Park aims to show you the African bush in its wildest, most authentic form. These safaris and tours will make you feel close enough to the bush for comfort.

Guided or unguided game drives can be organized. If you are going on your own safari, it is best to rent a 4x4 that has good clearance. Guided safaris can be very beneficial because the guide will know the best places to hunt for game.

Enjoy an adventure walking safari through the bush. Guided walking safaris through Mana Pools will bring your senses to life. Unguided walking safaris are allowed in Zimbabwe, which is one of only a few countries that allow it. If you have extensive experience in the bush, this is not recommended.

One of the most unique and amazing experiences is canoeing safaris. It is a great way to spot wildlife, and it is also great for birding. Many camp guides take guests on half- or full-day trips. Multi-day safari trips are also available.

Fly-in safaris are a great option if you want something more luxurious. These are generally more expensive but you will end up at the best tented camps.

Many safari packages include a trip through Mana Pools or other nearby reserves like Hwange National Park. You can choose from a variety of packages that include four- to twelve-day trips.