Why Traveling The World Is So Good For The Soul

Freedom, love, happiness, and learning how to be human; that's what traveling does.

14
Carey Bradley

To live a good life, make yourself happy first. If that means eating a whole large pizza, do it. If that means dropping out of law school to become a professional bongo player, go for it. And if that means, getting out of your comfort zone, and leaving the home you knew and understood so well, please find a way. It does not matter what age you are, or where you from, or who you were before this, seeing the world is the most amazing thing you can do for yourself. Why?

1. You can start anew, and be that person for as long as you want.

That home you knew so well? It also knew you. It shaped you into the person you are, despite you maybe wishing to be someone else every now and then. However, when you get that airplane ticket and look out the window at the world getting smaller and smaller, you are leaving everything you know - and everything that knew you - behind. You can be courageous and do those things you have seen travel bloggers do, or you can do things you have never seen before. If you want, talk more or talk less, take more risks or none at all. It's your decision. You are out of your comfort zone, so make a person that is one with it. Also remember, you can go back whenever, and that means you can go back to your old self. The choice is yours on what you makes you happy! Traveling reminds you that you can make it.

2. You don't have to impress anyone – let the world impress you.

Yes, make plans on what you want to see. Make plans to go out. Make friends. Or you can go with the flow, and stay by yourself. Either way, just look at these amazing places you visit and don't think about getting that perfect picture for Facebook or Instagram. Sit down. Take it in. Laugh at how not long ago, you saw this place on a travel brochure, and yet, here you are now. This is a place you have always wanted to see, and now, you cannot live without it. You are not you without it. It is a part of you. Let it stay there. Never let it fade. Hell, go back one day.

3. You are never lonely, even when you are alone.

Travel by yourself when you can. Don't think about "What if?" Think "Where should I start?" Walk around a city or through a jungle with just a map, and see where the day takes you. Go where you want to go. Do what you want to do. No one's stopping you. Just love what you want, and be content with finding your way. Sure, you may not talk to anyone, but really, when you are seeing the places you have dreamt about seeing, the days go by so fast, and you are okay with yourself. Happy with yourself. You trust yourself.

4. You can move on.

Everyone has problems. So do you. So do I. And sometimes, they get the better of us, but when you are traveling, they go away, and maybe, when you return to your home (or don't return), you may have already forgotten them. Who has time to think about drama, family, work, or even romance when you become involved with the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland, or the Il Duomo in Milan? You did that. That's more important, and when you get back, you'll be too proud of yourself and relaxed that those problems seem so insignificant.

5. You finally put yourself first, and you see what matters most.

It's you and the world, so nothing else matters. You see how big Earth is, and really, you see how insignificant you are. However, through that you see how significant you are to yourself, and where you actually fit in the world as you see more of it. You see yourself as you are, and that's all you need.