What is R&B

How To Spot An R&B Song

If someone sings about girls and money, that doesn't automatically make it an R&B song.

1261
Clariza Adao
Clariza Adao

Rythmes and blues, also known as R&B, is a favorite music genre amongst many people. It's common for people to confuse R&B and rap. Yes, they are similar, but there is definitely a difference. I think of R&B as slow rap. If that description isn't good enough, I hope this is a better description.

1. Conversing  

R. Kelly Trapped in the Closet

I kid you not: a lot of R&B singers have conversations in their songs. I have been listening to R&B all my life—to this day, I do not understand why they do this. It's kinda funny when the singer decides to talk at you in their songs because it's honestly the most random thing one can hear when trying to appreciate the song's art. It sometimes ruins the song. R. Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet" is a perfect example of conversations throughout the song. Honestly, a lot of R. Kelly songs have conversations in them.

2. Love

Trey Songz

R&B songs are usually about love. Specifically, anything from the love spectrum really: from falling in love to breaking up with someone, and even having sex with someone. Music videos usually include a couple, typically a heterosexual couple, and highlight all aspects of their relationship. If it sounds like someone confessing their love to their lover, chances are you are listening to an R&B song.

3. Caught in your feelings 

Ugly

Songs are automatically better when there is a lesson behind it. All songs have lessons, but lessons in R&B are unique. R&B offers lessons other than *ahem* how to do the horizontal tango. Love lessons are common in R&B. Love is complicated but beautiful. If you ever need to some love advice and want to listen to a good tune, listen to an R&B song. R&B is mellow and slow, and it's inevitable for you to be in your feels.

4. Shout outs 

C Breezy

Depending on the artists, they to shout out people in their song. Not all R&B songs have this element, but it is worth pointing out. Shoutouts usually happen in the beginning of the song. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's usually the part that has people saying "What? Why does he keep saying 1738?" Shouts out include but are not limited to the following: their mom, their significant other, and their record company.

5. H Y P E 

HYPE

R&B is not always mellow. I know I told y'all that R&B is slow and mellow. However, there are exceptions. There are a few R&B songs that can hype people up. It's great when music can put you in a good mood. When everyone is in a good mood, everyone has a good time!

Great! You know what an R&B song is (I hope). If you still don't know what it is, just search it up on YouTube.