The Sorting Hat At College

The Sorting Hat At College

What Hogwarts House Should You Be In, According To Your College Major

359
The Sorting Hat At College
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/sites/default/files/images/blogs/79/6a00e54faaf86b88330154320a010e970c

Among those of us in the “Harry Potter Generation,” nearly everyone knows what Hogwarts house they think they would be in; but have you ever wondered what house corresponds most closely with your college major?

Gryffindor

"You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart
"

Archeology/Anthropology:

Students of anthropology and archeology are looking for adventure: they want to dig for fossils in the desert and uncover a massive dinosaur; or they want to unearth the secrets of ancient civilizations. Anthropologists try to tell stories about our past, and the thrill seeking Gryffindor will be drawn to that excitement.

Engineering:

Engineering is enough of a challenge to satisfy the innovative Gryffindor, but more grounded in practicality than physics. Engineering is about solving problems in the world, which will make the brave Gryffindor think they’re a superhero. They can also build gadgets in order to prank the Slytherin students.

Environmental Science:

Environmental Science combines a number of sub-disciplines: microbiology, ecology, chemistry, geology, ext, and a Gryffindor will like the big picture this study provides. Environmental Science is also about saving the planet, something that the chivalrous Gryffindor will be drawn to.

Theater/Dance:

These are active outlets where a lively (and perhaps dramatic) Gryffindor can burn through some of their emotions and energy. Many Gryffindors will succeed in a spatial field that requires lots of concentration and excitement.

Gender Studies/ Sexuality Studies/ Racism Studies:

Gryffindors will be drawn toward majors that deal with injustice. Students in this house have a strong sense of right and wrong, and have a difficult time watching prejudice and oppression in the world (S.P.E.W. all the way!). Their Gryffindor bravado combined with strong morality will lead these students down the path of activism and social justice work.

Hufflepuff

"You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true,
And unafraid of toil
"

Nursing:

At it’s core, Nursing is about helping people—a deeply Hufflepuff quality. Nursing involves countless hours and effort exerted so that you can best help people and care for them. And unlike Brain Surgeons, Nursing is largely a thankless job that is far less glamorous—but just as important—as the higher profile medical careers.

Education:

The Hufflepuff recognizes that one of the best ways to improve the world is to educate the next generation. The other houses might recognize it, but Hufflepuffs are willing to put in the selfless work in order to best educate others.

Biology:

Life is one of the greatest outcomes of our universe, and the Hufflepuff scientist will find the study of all living things enchanting. Biology involves the intricate channels and networks of cells within a living thing, as well as the connections between all living things, and a Hufflepuff student will enjoy studying how everything affects the ecosystems inside of and outside of the body.

Music:

Studying music involves the use of so many skills found in Hufflepuffs. Aside from that one attention seeking Soprano or Clarinet player—you know the one—the best musicians are easy to work with. Practicing daily requires discipline and patience, playing in an ensemble requires cooperation and teamwork, and being judged and critiqued by private teachers and jurors requires humility. Hufflepuff music majors know the importance of learning solos, as well as the importance of holding down that second violin part.

English:

English is such a broad major that members of each house are bound to find an interest in English, but Hufflepuff students will love the subtleties involved in analyzing literature and crafting precise language. Patient Hufflepuffs will be able to find the perfect word to start off that essay, and will be able to view literature from a variety of viewpoints that might be challenging for students in other houses.

Ravenclaw

"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind.
"

Art History:

One of the greatest achievements of humans is the ability to create art: art allows us to explore ideas through creative and innovative outlets. Ravenclaw isn’t just about being “smart” in the textbook sense, it’s about opening your mind and contemplating the world in different ways, something that Art History nerds are all about. Also, they can be that know-it-all in an art museum telling you about the differences in shading technique between Monet and Rembrandt.

Physics:

As both a Ravenclaw and Physics major, I might be a little biased. Physics isn’t just about memorizing formulas; it involves a lot of critical and creative thinking to solve puzzles. Additionally, physics is the most fundamental branch of science, giving the Ravenclaw student the theoretical ability to know how everything in the universe ticks.

Mathematics:

Mathematics and physics go hand in hand: while physics is mathematics applied to the world, Ravenclaw students might desire to understand the world of purely theoretical mathematics. While other students might see no point in contemplating n-dimensional manifolds, the loftily intellectual Ravenclaws will revel in the fact that they can.

Philosophy:

A house full of people who like to think will naturally be drawn toward a field based primarily in thinking. Ravenclaw students will delight in attempting to understand the world using only their logic. The same wit that motivates Ravenclaws to answer riddles to enter the common room will allow them to puzzle through issues of metaphysics and ethics.

Linguistics:

Ravenclaw students would rather study the origin and evolution of languages than the languages themselves. Sure, understanding the cognitive basis of language is a lot less useful than studying Spanish, but when have Ravenclaws been more preoccupied with practicality than intellectually stimulating pursuits?

Slytherin

"Or perhaps in Slytherin,
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means,
To achieve their ends.
"

History:

Studying history involves studying those who have risen to, and fell from, power. On the way to greatness, one must study those great figures of history that have come before you. Even if a Slytherin is not seeking to conquer the world, they will be fascinated by the flow and exchange of power over the course of thousands of years.

Psychology:

Psychology studies the behavior of people, something that will surely fascinate the perceptive and cunning Slytherin. Whether developmental or abnormal psychology, this field of study will allow a Slytherin to understand how they perceive the world, and what drives others.

Chemistry:

Clever and resourceful Slytherins will be drawn toward chemistry, but will also revel in its practical applications. Those with a working knowledge of chemistry can create all sorts of useful concoctions (especially when combined with your knowledge of potions). Physics may describe how the world works on the most fundamental levels, but a Slytherin student knows it’s not practical to solve a differential equation when they can achieve their ends with the more generalized knowledge of chemicals and their reactions.

Foreign Language:

Speaking a foreign language will allow a Slytherin to travel the world and succeed in other countries. Fluency (or simply proficiency) in a foreign language opens countless doors for oneself, whether for the purpose of leisurely travel and experience or international work-based partnerships.

Political Science:

Ambitious Slytherins are interested in their political systems, since that is a fast track toward power. Studying political science will allow Slytherin students to analyze how our country is governed, and the variety of political systems that have existed throughout history. Most Slytherin students seeking political power believe themselves more competent than our current leaders—which is probably true—but beware the ones seeking political power for purely their own gain.

Is your major not listed above? Feel free to comment with which house you think your major corresponds to!