To The College Student Who Didn’t Do As Well As They Would Have Hoped This Semester

This semester may have sucked for many reasons, but here is what you need to hear.

52
Taking test

As we get our final grades back, some of us are filled with joy to have finished yet another semester of school, but some of us are disappointed in our grades despite the work we put in. To those of you who may be disappointed with their own performance this semester, I have some reassuring news for you.

Shit happens.

School is hard and we are in the same boat and sometimes we mess up and maybe don't reach all of our expectations BUT THAT IS OKAY. All of the struggles we face are part of growing up and being a college student.

We are not all naturally good at everything we do. There are bound to be a few classes we do may not excel in simply because the content may just not be our thing. Some of us may just need more time to learn the content or more patience from the professor. These are all accommodations that are not always easy to make as a young college student.

If you are anything like me, being a full-time student, working and balancing a social life/extracurriculars does not come naturally. You are allowed to struggle, however you will rise above. If there's a will, there is a way.

Maybe this wasn't the best semester for you, it sure as hell wasn't mine, but now you know what does and doesn't work for you. Perhaps going to office hours has proven to be more helpful than the after class study sessions. Maybe you can't rely only on the cheat sheet the professor allows you to make for the final. And most likely group projects will never be you're thing (probably not). Learning from your mistakes is a good thing and results in growth as a student. Sure it may have come with a cost, but that doesn't you any less of a student.

You will make next semester better. DO NOT let a few crappy grades from a few crappy classes get you down about the future. Your next semester is a fresh start and you will get through it just like you did all the semesters past. All you can do if try your absolute best and put in the time to improve your grades.

Sometimes you get stuck with a shitty professor who reads of a power point slide every class and it's a waste of your time. Other times you may love the class and enjoy the content, but the tests are tremendously difficult. It may feel like you're destined to fail, but that is just how it is sometimes. What you do about that feeling is up to you and no one else.

Take this article as a wakeup call telling you, "You can do better."

Take this article as a sign of hope telling you, "Next semester will be better."

Take this article as a letter of encouragement telling you, "I know you will do better."

Whatever message you need, I'm here to tell you, you're doing just fine, kid.