How my Sorority Sisters have Changed me for the Better

nothing like you thought it would be, everything you needed it to be.

14
Tumblr.com

As a freshman going off to school I was absolutely terrified of the unknown that was college. Like the many timid freshman before me, I was looking for a place to fit in amongst the already thriving student body. There were the sports teams--but I'm extremely uncoordinated--so that was a no, there was the theatre program--but I can barely speak in front of a class much less perform in front of an entire audience, so no again, and then in a magical twist of fate I came across greek life. Discovering the sorority where I felt comfortable, changed my college experience as a freshman, and paced the way for the rest of my college career.

1. Surrounding myself with people that love me makes all the difference

I realized that being involved with the group of girls that I call my sisters has only strengthened my friendships. It has proven to me that when the right people are with you, it makes an amazing difference in your life.

2. The support I receive is like no other

Anything I put my mind to my sisters are always there telling me that I can accomplish my goals.

3. I have made life long friends

I know that the friendships I have made because of my sorority will last a lifetime.

4. I have so many opportunities to give back to the community

Philanthropic work and community service is such a major part of being in a sorority. My sorority is what encouraged me to jump right in and start giving back to those in need.

5. Confidence builder

As I said, i was a petrified little freshman. There was no way I would have had the confidence to branch out had I not joined a sorority. I learned that I matter within this group, and I matter everywhere else I involve myself also.

6. A place of belonging

My sorority is a place where I can be myself no matter what.

7. A home away from home

Being away from my family at school, my sorority has become like a second family to me. Support, craziness, dysfunction and all.

8. I feel that I am positively impacting my college community

Whether it be in the community, or on campus, my sorority is constantly giving back--something that effects not just greek life but the entire school.

9. I found my voice

Because of the support and friendships my sorority has provided me with, I am strong enough to look back on the scared little freshman I was and realize that I am so much more fulfilled now.

10. My sorority has shown me the stereotypes are not true

The sorority with catty, nasty girls who all look the same is only found in movies. Each sorority is different, with their own set of amazing qualities. Mine has shown me that they are anything but typical.