I Found My Home At Delta Zeta Sorority

I Found My Home At Delta Zeta Sorority

A home for four years, but sisters for life

304
I Found My Home At Delta Zeta Sorority
Writer's image

If you were to have asked me a year ago if I was thinking of joining a sorority I would have laughed and assumed you were making a sarcastic crack at my expense. We all have because we have a pre- conceived notion about what sorority girls are really like due to the media and our peers. Movies portray them as vapid, blonde and overall lacking substance. However, I'm here to tell you first hand that absolutely none of that is true. The Panhellenic Council and recruitment counselors will encourage you without fail throughout the process. If you don't get invited back to a house that you thought you wanted and or vibed with you, it just means that it wasn't meant to be. The recruitment process has been set up in such a way for you to find where you belong or; your home.

Day one was open rounds day. This day we went to all 8 houses and talked to various girls in each. The idea of it is to just be yourself and tell them who you are so that they can decide if that will represent the chapter in the right way. This day may seem relatively easy, but it can be extremely taxing to put your best effort into being your most authentic self. if you're doing it correctly then it can put you into a vulnerable situation where you are opening yourself up to rejection. However, just because you don't get an invite back to a certain chapter does NOT mean that who you are is not worthy and amazing, it just means that isn't meant to be your home.

The next day was values day in which you discuss the sororities values and your own. If you're in the right place, they should align. This was the day that confirmed to me that I didn't want to call any other place home other than Delta Zeta. The girls in this chapter exuded confidence, compassion, and ambition; which were the three main things I was looking for in a sisterhood. My conversations were so authentic that I found myself dreading having to leave. When my time was up I hugged the member I was talking to so tightly and wished with all of my heart that they would pursue me as much as I longed to be a part of their sisterhood.

When I initially registered for classes I put my major down as nursing.I have always known that I wanted to pursue a career in something that would feed my passion to nurture others. Despite my heart telling me that I had a calling for speech pathology or psychology I listened to others who told me there was no money in that and I needed to be smart about my decision. Once classes started I felt even more pulled towards psychology and speech pathology. It was through the recruitment process and reviews of the Delta Zeta chapters' philanthropies that I realized that life is too short to be miserable. So I bit the bullet and took a chance on myself for once. My journey has just began, but I know that through it all that my new sisters will be there to support me along the way. Values day revealed to me that my dreams are worth the risk and that I was making the right choice in a time where I am faced with so many new challenges.

Walking into preference day the next morning, my heart was pounding and my mind was made. My 3rd day in the house settled me when I was able to put my complete self on the table and accept that I had done everything in my power to align the stars in my favor. I told myself that regardless of the outcome I would remain positive, because of how many amazing young women I met throughout the past weekend.

Words can't describe the immense rush of emotions that coursed through my veins when I received my bid card from Delta Zeta. Every single Delta Zeta woman is beautifully diverse and rich with individuality, yet rooted together in their values. That to me, is what a home should feel like.

Delta Zeta's Philanthropies are Starkey: Hearing Foundation and The Painted Turtle. If you want to learn more about this foundation check out their Mission Statement https://starkey.org/homepage/about-us/mission-visi... . Or if you wish to donate to this organization; click here:https://starkey.org/homepage/volunteer-donations/m... . The Painted Turtle has supported over 55,000 children with serious medical conditions and their right to just be a kid. If you want to learn more or donate to this cause: click here; http://thepaintedturtle.org/