The truth about sororities

Sororities Aren't Just About The Parties—They Are Worth So Much More

For most people, when they hear about a sorority their thoughts will immediately go to parties, but they consist of much more than that.

91

Since before I can remember, whenever sororities were mentioned, all people would talk about was partying. This led to me, and those around me, thinking that's all sororities were. This state of mind on such a matter ended up lasting until I began looking into joining a sorority myself.

I've never been one to party, but due to my social struggles, I had decided to look into joining a sorority, hoping it would help me make new friends in the unfamiliar experience of college. Once looking into it, I finally realized the truth about sororities. Yes, there is a good amount of partying included, but nobody is forced to join the parties, drinking, or anything of that sort.

In fact, from what I've seen and heard, many sororities are very academically motivated. A few examples of how different sororities seem to have made academics a priority is that to even get in, different sororities set different standards GPA wise, and for some, they will decide who can live in the house by what their college GPA was. For those who do end up living in the sorority house, certain houses may also have other GPA motivations such as which day rooms one can get or the sleeping area/bunk they prefer.

For those who don't decide to live in, many sororities will make sure their members/sisters do what they call study tables for a certain amount of time per week. If a sister doesn't have the required GPA by the end of the semester, they may increase the required amount of study table hours for that one person. Study tables are pretty self-explanatory. Often sororities will rent different rooms for certain amounts of time per day where any members of that sorority can go to those rooms to study. There will also often be sorority sisters assigned to proctor the other members and log their study hours.

In the end, sororities are not just about the parties. So, if you are worried about being able to fit in or make friends at college, I highly encourage you to join a sorority. They are filled with sweet, highly supportive girls who won't pressure you into anything unless it is for your own good, such as school-related topics. I have only been a part of my sorority for a year, and I already consider my sorority to be my home away from home, and my sisters to be friends I will never forget.