My Sophomore Year Was Cut Short, But I'm Lucky

Not everyone gets to go back.

16
Cameron Marr

When I left for spring break, I never would have thought that day that I would never step foot in that classroom again. Not only was my sophomore year cut short, but so was my time at ECU. I am going back to college but I am transferring to Charlotte to finish my schooling. Did anyone see this coming?

At this point, there are so many feelings that have come over me. I am sad that my time at a school I really had learned to love would be cut short, and I would never get to experience another ECU sports game as a student of the school or even shout purple and gold. I have anxiety about my future. Not only am I going to a different school so there's that, but there are also different professors and a different campus (that I have never set foot on). Will I have to start my first semester at a different school online?

What doesn't help is that no one in the world knows how long this will last. We really have no answers whatsoever about this virus or how long all of this will continue. The only thing that I know to focus on right now is finishing strong with my online classes and reflecting on the year I had so far. I have to start thinking of all the good that did happen this past year. One thing we can all learn from this virus is that we can't waste a minute of the things we are able to experience and are lucky enough to have in the first place.

I remember the week before spring break I kept saying to myself "I hate school,"; "I can't wait to go home for spring break." Little did I know that I would be going home for good. I honestly was in Florida for spring break crying because it had finally set in that I would not be going back to the school where it all started. That school will always have a piece of me and I am sad to leave it.

I am also excited. I am excited about my future and new beginnings and experiences. I can't wait to make new friends and even go back to seeing old ones. I have tried to not have regrets and at this point, I have learned to do things without regrets. if we do get to go back this year, I will make sure to not waste that opportunity.

I am so thankful for everything that has happened for me this year and know that through all of this will come something good for all of us, even if it's just learning the lesson that we should always seize the day and never waste an opportunity.