Is This Alleged Sophomore Slump Fact Or Fiction?

It is all about mindset.

89
Photo by Bonnie O'Connor

Sophomore year has been a complete 180 degree turn from freshman year. I was told to keep my guard up because of the stereotypical "sophomore slump." It is a huge transition going from having all of your friends and classes within walking distance to living off campus with a whole new community. Everything is not as new and daunting, so we are expected to know all the answers. For me personally, my classes have become the majority of my time and have proven to be quite the trial. It became so easy for me to get caught up in the "whys". Why was this friendship different? Why are my classes so difficult? Why do I not see this person as often? But most of all, why do I not feel like myself?

It has taken me basically all semester to rest in the fact that it just is. The Lord has a plan for your life, whether you understand it or not. I felt myself doubting this even though I know it to be true. If you know me, you know I always say everything happens for a reason. However, it has been made clear to me this semester more than ever that reason is God.

Hebrews 13:11 reads: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?"

To me this verse is really convicting. It is so easy to fear earthly things that man can influence. Academics, relationships, temptation, and even change itself. But rather than fearing our tests, new circumstances, and emotions, we must seek help from the Lord to tackle these things with assurance. "I will not fear."

Even more so, I think it shows so much obedience to God to embrace change and embrace unfamiliar settings. There is new experiences to be had each and every day whether these experiences take place sophomore year or not. Why fear the unknown when there is unknown in every day? Don't get me wrong, this is something I struggle with too, but making the cognitive decision to trust the Lord's process and embrace a new chapter with confidence in your plan definitely does not result in a "slump."

This semester has challenged me in more ways than one. I have struggled with not feeling like myself simply because I am comparing myself to who I was last year. However, sophomore year Bon is not going to be freshman year Bon and that's okay. That's okay because I am who I am supposed to be at this very moment. Although I have witnessed trials this semester, I have also witnessed the sweetest friendships and personal growth result from it. I am a firm believer that the most growth in maturity occurs as a result of personal tests. Although I have not been consciously aware, this semester has pushed my faith and my comfort zone. I also see this in many of my friends who had been feeling the same way. The Lord has been present this first semester of sophomore year, and with that comes comfort and peace.

So here's the verdict. Sophomore slump is raw and real and difficult. But it is also a mindset. It is a mindset that can be chosen to live out or defeat. As with everything in life, a choice can be made to see the good in the situation. Of course there will be some not so hot days, but a few bad days with trust in God is far better than a whole semester without Him.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 reads: "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven."

It is a personal decision to adopt adversity and transition, and " sophomore slump" can 100% arise from deciding to succumb to these things. Push yourself and your faith to rest and find peace in this new season. It truly is such a humbling feeling looking back on your college experience, especially when able to be confident that you embraced it for all that it has been.