Sonia Sotomayor Talks Success, Life And More In UAlbany Speaker Series

The first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice took the Capital District by storm.

8
Amber Spencer-Knowles

For the last Student Speaker Series of the 2016-17 school year, the University at Albany couldn't have picked a better person to close out the year. Associate Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor spoke to thousands at the free, sold-out event held Tuesday at the university's SEFCU Arena. From being the first Hispanic and woman of color to be sworn-in as a Supreme Court Justice in 2009; swearing in former President Barack Obama back in 2013, to even throwing the ceremonial first pitch at the season opener Yankees vs. Red Sox game at Yankee Stadium, it's safe to say the South Bronx native has come full circle in her life.

Associate Justice Sotomayor was introduced to the crowd by none other than current Student Association President and fellow Bronx native, Felix Abreu. Before SCOTUS Sotomayor's Q&A, which was moderated by Paul Grondahl, director of UAlbany Writer's Institute and former reporter for the Albany Times Union; complementary copies of her book, "My Beloved World," were given to patrons as it was the main focus of conversation.

By the time the book was finished in 2009, she had just been sworn-in as SCOTUS, and was not yet prepared for her newfound fame. "I went from a good, local position to the world stage," Sotomayor said. "Eyes from around the world were on me."

As part of the highest court in the United States, SCOTUS Sotomayor felt as if her 17 years as a judge were no match to have one of the most important jobs in government. Before becoming an Associate Justice, Sotomayor was the judge of a circuit that consisted of New York, Vermont, and Connecticut. This is not to say that she forgot where she came from in the process of her transition. "I wanted to be sure I didn't let power corrupt me," Sotomayor told the crowd. Nonetheless, it's safe to say that former President Obama made the right decision when nominating her as SCOTUS.

Sotomayor's beginnings were humble--she was born to Puerto-Rican parents in The Bronx's Bronxdale Housing Projects. Though her parents taught her lessons that would last a lifetime, she cited her grandmother, whom she affectionately called "Abuelita." As Sotomayor began to reminisce, she said that "my favorite memories of Abuelita, was when she hugged me. I never felt safer in her arms."

The safeness her grandmother provided proved to be an important factor in her life, as Sotomayor was diagnosed with diabetes at a very young age. Back then, however, the medical procedures weren't as good as today.

"Care was rudimentary, painful, and the prognosis of my life was very short." Doctors at that time said that she would have a life expectancy of 40 years. That is of course, without including the rapid advances in medicine and technology that are now present today.

While on the subject of being the first woman of color to be a SCOTUS, Sotomayor didn't shy away speaking on the realities of gender and racial discrimination in the workplace. As Tuesday's speaker series also coincided with National Equal Pay Day, Sotomayor spoke to the crowd about the harsh reality. "Don't expect discrimination to end soon. When I was in college, I thought discrimination would be over," Sotomayor said.

According to the Equal Payback Project, Hispanic women on average earn 56 cents for every dollar earned in the United States. African American women earn 64 cents on average, and white women earn 77 cents on the dollar.

When talking about her experience as a lawyer, Sotomayor told of a time where she was the only woman in the room, and someone made the assumption that she was only there to get the coffee. It wasn't until a coworker corrected the person, saying "she's our lawyer." Despite that, she was promoted to a bureau as the lone woman amongst five men. Sotomayor also went on to add the fact that most people in power around the world, are still men.

"There is no formula for how you deal with discrimination," Sotomayor said. "Despite that, I'm a Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States."

But one of the most interesting things about Associate Justice Sotomayor, is her outlook on life.

"Despite my challenges, I had one of the richest lives anyone could ever have...Live life, and squeeze as much out as you can!"