17 Songs To Get You Into A Cappella

17 Songs To Get You Into A Cappella

Hand picked by yours truly

35
17 Songs To Get You Into A Cappella
The Nor'easters YouTube Channel

A cappella music is a genre on the rise, slowly working its way up the popularity ranks. Suddenly, not only have groups become a fixture on college campuses, but they have also become relatively common after higher education as well. As with most music genres, to the first-time listener, the songs will likely all sound very similar. Therefore, for the average newbies to a cappella music, it seems like a great idea for me to make a great list to introduce them to some great songs and groups.

The list below is in no particular order, and keep in mind that this is solely my opinion. There are plenty of different songs out there. Most groups are from college campuses; however, there are some exceptions to this. I have decided to limit the list to one song per group, so as to get as many in the list as possible. Also, please bear in mind that some of the YouTube recordings are not of the best quality, and in any case, a cappella music is, by many considerations, designed to be performed live. A recording can only do so much justice. Many of the songs can be found on iTunes and Spotify, and on other streaming services.

1. “Call Me When You’re Sober,” Reverse Osmosis (University of Southern California).

If there was ever a song to credit for my interest in a cappella music, this would be the one. It was the first one that I really got into, with both a talented soloist and a well-done arrangement. The piece was originally performed by Evanescence, and was adapted for a cappella by Reverse Osmosis, out of the University of Southern California. Be sure to listen for the effectiveness in the articulation of neutral vowels and for the shaping of the accompanying pitches.

2. “Can’t Sleep Love,” Pentatonix.

Pentatonix have revolutionized what it means to be an a cappella group, bringing themselves to the top of the charts and mainstream popularity. For a five member group, they have incredible blend and effective harmonization. They have moved beyond simply covering other artists, and now write their original songs. The above song is an original piece, with a great music video. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the incredibly catchy tune.

3. “12 Days of Christmas,” Straight No Chaser (Indiana University).

Speaking of groups that revolutionized a cappella, it is essential to note one of the groups that helped put it on the map -- Straight No Chaser. Formed in 1996, the group gained widespread popularity in 2006 when this video (from 1998) went viral. Mixing comedy with music, the song holds a place in a cappella history. Straight No Chaser continue to exist today in two forms, one as the original incarnation of the group, as well as the collegiate group based out of IU, who now go by the name, Another Round.

4. “Crazy in Love,” Mosaic Whispers (Washington University in St. Louis).

This song is everything a mashup should be, taking two different songs that you normally would not put together and showing exactly why they belong together instead. In this case, Mosaic Whispers, out of the Washington University in St. Louis, effectively combines “Crazy in Love,” originally performed by Beyoncé, with “Crazy,” originally performed by Gnarls Barkley. The ensuing mashup is fun, entertaining, and very well arranged.

5. “Uprising,” Pennharmonics (Pennsylvania State University).

Speaking of good mashups, here is another one, combining “Uprising,” originally performed by Muse, with “Another Brick in the Wall,” originally performed by Pink Floyd. This recording is not the best, however, there’s a CD quality version on iTunes, and likely Spotify, as well. Perhaps most incredible about this arrangement is how both songs climax at the same time, creating a huge adrenaline rush for a fantastic ending. It should also be of note, that neither piece, due to their vast pitch range, is easy to arrange in their own right.

6. “I See Fire,” Peter Hollens.

One of the more popular trends on YouTube these days is to have a one-man a cappella group. By recording oneself singing the different voice parts, and then merging them together, you can create your own group. Peter Hollens is, perhaps, the best known of these one-man a cappella groups, although there are many other good ones out there. This piece is “I See Fire,” originally performed by Ed Sheeran for the film, "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug."

7. “Elastic Heart,” The Loreleis (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill).

Obviously, there is no set way to arrange a song, and therefore, various different groups will have their own style and twist in their arrangements. No two groups will perform a cover the same way. Therefore, when I first heard this piece at an ICCA competition last year, I was disappointed to not be able to find a suitable arrangement of this piece; at least, not right away. When I finally tracked down this arrangement, I was elated. Just listen and enjoy this piece, “Elastic Heart,” originally performed by Sia. (It did not help that I really disliked the original piece as it was.)

8. “Fields of Gold,” Singer Pur.

Truth be told, what today is known is a cappella music is actually contemporary a cappella music. A cappella music, in its fullest form, has been around for centuries. In classical music, it means “without accompaniment.” There has been a cappella music for a long while, but it is only recently, in the past century, that it has really entered the realm of popular music. However, there are many parallels between the two genres. Singer Pur, a group from Germany, is mostly known for their classical music repertoire; however, they have also dappled with contemporary a cappella as well. This song, an arrangement of Sting’s, “Fields of Gold,” is one such example of their bridge building.

9. “This is What it Feels Like,” The Virginia Sil’hooettes (University of Virginia).

This is an arrangement of a song by Banks, performed by one of my favorite groups, the Virginia Sil’hooettes. Their range as an all-female group is absolutely incredible. I highly recommend not just this song, but many of their others, including "I Will Never Die," "Starry Eyed," "Telephone," "Breath of Life," "Love Me Like You Do," and "Echo."

10. “What Now,” The Nor’easters (Northeastern University).

This is another excellent arrangement from another one of my favorite groups. For me, the emotional power in this piece is absolutely incredible, and the soloist brings the upmost energy to this piece. The song, “What Now,” originally performed by Rihanna, demands much from the singers, and the Nor’easters definitely deliver.

11. “Welcome Home,” The Infernos (Dickinson College).

I would be remiss if I did not include a song from one of my own college’s groups, the Dickinson Infernos. The soloist of the piece delivers emotionally and technically, bolstered by a really strong accompaniment. And while I may be a tad biased, the song is certainly worth a listen. The song, “Welcome Home,” was originally performed by Radical Face.

I hope that you have enjoyed and learned much from my list. Below are some more videos that are definitely worth listening to as well. I hope you find yourself enjoying the world of a cappella as much as I do!

12. “Turning Tables,” Tufts Beelzebubs (Tufts University).

13. “Moves Like Jagger,” Pitch Slapped (Berklee College of Music).

14. “Rather Be,” Vocal Synergy (Wagner College).

15. “Love Runs Out,” The BluesTones (James Madison University).

16. “Clarity,” Gemini Blvd. (University of Central Florida).

17. “Fireflies,” Midnight Ramblers (University of Rochester).