Songs for the Providence College Senior Class

I hope these songs bring some peace to your current chaotic reality.

219

As a senior at Providence College, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this past week has been a nightmare. Frustrating, confusing, and filled with anger, whether misplaced or not. If I were going about my normal routine, I'm sure I would be putting out an article on self care, or maybe something on what's been keeping me busy lately. However, the current state of my life in college has left me unmotivated, and uninspired. As a result I figured I'd sit down and take a little time to do one of the only things that brings me back down to Earth when I've begun to feel like I've floated too far off the ground to get back. Make a playlist. This playlist is dedicated to any senior who feels they need a little time to sit down and breathe. I can't promise you everything will be okay, but I can hope that while you listen to these songs, you find some peace.

1. Breathe (2AM) - Anna Nalick

"No one can find the rewind button girl, / So cradle your head in you hands / And breathe, just breathe, / Whoa breathe, just breathe"

Whatever the reason was that this has happened to us, it's happened. It stinks and it's not fair, just remember to breathe.

2. Vienna - Billy Joel

"Slow down, you're doing fine. / You can't be everything you wanna be before your time."

Use this song to remind yourself that though everything may not be going according to plan, it does not mean you're off track forever. Maybe it's just not the right time. Maybe it's just not your time.

3. Landslide - Fleetwood Mac

"Well, I've been 'fraid of changin' / 'Cause I've built my life around you / But time makes you bolder / Even children get older / And I'm gettin' older, too"

Whatever happens to us from now on is unfortunately not going to be what we always pictured for our senior year. But change is upon us, so it's time to embrace it as best we can.

4. Roll it on Home - John Mayer

"Nobody's gonna love you right, / Nobody's gonna take you in tonight, / Finish out the bottle or step into the light, / And roll it on home"

Providence College, whom we expected to take care of us in an event like this has unfortunately not delivered in the way we hoped. And let's be honest, students haven't done their part looking out for one another either. So let's take this time to roll it on home, and take care of ourselves. There is no shame in taking this opportunity to figure out what you need.

5. The Good Side - Troye Sivan

"But I sympathize, and I recognize / And baby, I apologize / That I got the good side / The good side of things"

As seniors, we got, respectively, three and a half good, "normal," years. Most of us got to experience, if even for a short time, living in a foreign country. And we got to see Providence College in its prime. We got the good side. Let's be grateful that at least we can reminisce on what we once had. Others may never be so lucky.

6. My Future - Billie Eilish

"'Cause I, I'm in love / With my future / Can't wait to meet her"

Currently, our lives preside in a whirlwind of confusion and misinformation. There is no certainty regarding what will happen next. But I have faith that eventually things will get better. We will be okay. Here's to looking forward to all the things to come - it's gotta get better than this.

7. We're All in This Together - High School Musical Cast

"We're all in this together / And it shows / When we stand / Hand in hand / Make our dreams come true"

Whether we like it or not, we're all in this together. So let's support one another and work towards hopefully recovering to the most normal semester we can possibly have going forward. None of us want to lose anything else.

This collection of songs is meant to serve as a starting point in your journey towards self-care. Wow, look at me, still writing about self care. I guess I really can't help myself. We'll be okay, seniors. And whatever comes, we'll take it on together. Just remember to breathe.