Spooky, Scary Songs Everyone Needs On Their Halloween Playlist

If you don't have a Halloween playlist, are you truly getting in the spooky spirit?

195

It's October again, and you know what that means...

Yes, Halloween has officially started!

In a time of skeletons, decorations, costumes, pumpkin spice, spiderwebs, scary movies, and a plethora of other spooky decor and activities, one only needs to open the door to get their spooky fix. Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday (or let's be honest, it's basically it's own month at this point) and I think there's no better way to get in the spirit of ANY holiday than music. While some people may think music isn't really a large part of Halloween, considering there's no traditional "Halloween songs" like there are "Christmas songs," I disagree. However, since it's not basically it's own genre like Christmas music, it can be hard to find a lot of Halloween songs to get you in the spirit.

So whether your looking to make a playlist for a party, a movie night, or just for personal use to get in the spooky spirit, I've created this list of suggestions for your hallowed Halloween enjoyment.

1. "This is Halloween" from "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

Tim Burton's cross-holiday film "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is a classic for the spooky season, and no song is more distinctive than it's opening number "This is Halloween". In this number, viewers are introduced to the creepy residents of Halloweentown, the community responsible for all the spooks of the season. Once you've seen it, it's hard to forget the "clown with the tear-away face" or "our man Jack...King of the Pumpkin Patch".

If you're feeling in a more intense/rock mood, check out this even spookier version from Marilyn Manson.

2. "Thriller" by Michael Jackson

With lyrics that reference something evil "lurking in the dark," "beast about to strike," and a music video full of monsters, Micheal Jackson's classic "Thriller" is a staple of the season.

3. "Spooky, Scary Skeletons" by Andrew Gold

Yes, it's the song everyone can't seem to get out of their heads lately. From Andrew Gold's "Halloween Howls" album (another one to look out for if you're building a large spooky playlist for the season), this current favorite is a must for any Halloween bash.

4. "Sympathy For The Devil" by The Rolling Stones

While not an overtly Halloween song, like many on this list, it nevertheless will put you in the proper mood. A classic that's stood the test of time, "Sympathy for the Devil" is not just a good Halloween song, it's a good song.

5. "Magic Dance" by David Bowie

Featured in the rather creepy, but iconic, movie "Labyrinth," David Bowie's song from this movie is sung with a host of goblins, making this already really good song a great addition to your playlist.

6. "Ghostbusters" from, well, "Ghostbusters"

A favorite for Halloween costumes, "Ghostbusters" will get you in the mood for trick-or-treating and fully ready to "bust" any spooky spirits that may haunt your path.

7. "Little Shop of Horrors" by the Company of the Off-Broadway Show "Little Shop of Horrors"

This show follows a meek plant-store worker who raises a horrific plant that feasts on human flesh. Rather freaky I'd say, and it's opening number is not only fun to listen to, but gives a great set-up for the "horrific" show ahead.

Plus, it's getting a new Off-Broadway revival featuring Jonathon Groff, star of "Hamilton" and "Frozen"!

8. "Time Warp" from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"

Even if you haven't seen this movie (which you definitely must, especially during the Halloween season on college campuses), you most likely know this iconic song and it's equally iconic dance. Honestly, any song from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" would be great addition to a Halloween playlist, as it's a constantly referenced cult classic this time of year.

9. "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC

Halloween is also a time for hard rock, right?

10. "Calling All the Monsters" by China Anne McClain

From Disney Channel's recent Golden Age and made especially for Halloween, "Calling All the Monsters" is just a fun song from one of Disney's best young singers.

11. "Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett

Almost every Halloween party and playlist has to have this song. If there ever was a whole genre of Halloween music like there is for Christmas music, this song would definitely be a top hit.

12. "Halloween" by Jon Bellion

Neither a musical number or one with basic Halloween lyrics, "Halloween" by Jon Bellion is just a good sing you can play anytime of the year. But it's best during Halloween. Obviously.

13. "Hellfire" from Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"

One of the creepiest and most disturbing songs Disney has ever made, "Hellfire" is sung by the antagonist of Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" Claude Frollo about his desire for a gypsy woman. While not officially a Halloween song, it's intensely creepy vibe can get anyone in the dark, Halloween mood.

14. "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band

Just, include it. It's a great song.

15. "Monster High Fright Song" from "Monster High"

C'mon, you know you were obsessed with this song when "Monster High" was all the rage. And yes, you definitely still know all the words, so just go ahead and add it to your playlist.

16. "Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance

If you can't be emo during the Halloween season, the time where black is all the rage and dreadful monsters roam the streets, than when can you be emo?

17. "Remains of the Day" from "The Corpse Bride"

Another Tim Burton classic that may not be as popular as "The Nightmare Before Christmas" but is nevertheless just as good (or better, in my opinion), "The Corpse Bride" is another Halloween feature that's musically inclined. "Remains of the Day" is my personal favorite song from the film, and details how the Corpse Bride became, well, the Corpse Bride. Plus it's just a blast to listen to.

18. "Heathens" by Twenty One Pilots

A song to basically describe the neighborhood and all it's costumed inhabitants as you're trick-or-treating or partying on your college campus.

19. "Friends on the Other Side" from Disney's "The Princess and the Frog"

Another Disney song, though this one is more about the spirit world that haunts the streets during Halloween.

20. "Emperor's New Clothes" by Panic! At The Disco

With more of a spooky music video than actual spooky lyrics, this Panic! at the Disco song is still fun to listen to around this holiday.

21. "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" by the Original Broadway Cast of "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street"

The second, and possibly even more creepy, Broadway song on this list includes the opening number to "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street". I think the title says it all in regards to the creepiness of this particular work of art.

22. "Haunted" by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift has been in the news a lot recently for her new album "Lover," but it's one of her older songs that gets the feature on this list. "Haunted," with it's screeching violin and intense lyrics, may sound like an unlikely fit for a Halloween playlist, but once you listen to the song itself, you may change your mind.

23. "Zombie" by Bad Wolves

While the Cranberries first made this song famous, the Bad Wolves version is definitely the one you want on your spooky playlist. The music is way more upbeat, intense, and timely.

Happy listening! I wish you the spookiest of seasons!

From Your Site Articles