Solidarity for OUr Campus

Solidarity for OUr Campus

A protestor in the South Oval that visits OU every year

141

Warning: This article contains sensitive language.

This is stupid.

I don't know this man (and I don't want to know him), but I wonder whether he has a conscience or a sense of dignity. Calling random female student "thots." Telling them to repent or they'll go to hell. Saying that they will be raped because they wear leggings. Calling gay rights "fake news." Telling all who oppose him that he is a "righteous man under God." A guy told him that "God loves everybody"; the man asked, "When was the last time you did pornography?" He comes every year to the South Oval, with a billboard of insults against students, a camera on his chest in case anyone would do harm to him. It's a form of cowardice that promotes his pride for being an asshole. Anyone with a sense of respect for one other would know that this behavior is completely unacceptable.

In big red letters, he wrote a reference to the Biblical verse, "John 3:36" which reads: "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him." In the context of this man's speech patterns and writing: submit, or be damned. The Bible, the oldest book in our history, is a piece of literature used to inspire and teach people through religious lessons and history. And yet, it disgusts me when people distort the religious text in order to accuse, demean, or condemn another person who do not follow "God's teachings." It's hypocrisy at its finest.

One quote that I would like to quote myself is "Philippians 2:3," which reads: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather in humility, value others above yourself." If this man claims that he is a "righteous man," he is blind to the truth. Using religion to sexually harass female students and condemn the LGBT+ community is self-righteousness. Acting in a manner such as this is not Christian. Perhaps he should devote his time to "Introduction to Human Relations" to learn something useful: like being tolerant to people different to him, instead of being an asshole.

Under the 1st Amendment, a permit, and identification, he is within his rights to spout nonsense to our community. The OU campus is public property and he technically has a right to be here. The only limitation I have heard of is that he cannot be here past 4:00 PM and cannot physically harm anyone. It may seem unfair, but it is his civil liberty to the freedom of speech. That being said, we, the OU community, have this freedom as well. I applaud those who created a prayer circle in unity for forgiveness and respect. I smiled when I saw other students support one another against the yelling of this preacher. I found it awesome that students proudly held signs of unity and love in the midst of hate.

Also, shout out to Georgia, the one who I took a picture with. Congratulations on a job well done!

It's not right for others to use prejudice and propaganda to condemn others, especially our community, for personal satisfaction. However, it is right when we work together as a campus to do the right thing and stand for what's right and know what's wrong. It's this form of solidarity that makes our campus so great. By working together, we can make a change.

Boomer Sooner.