4 Solar Energy Facts You Should Know

4 Solar Energy Facts That College Students Should Know

Climate change is a huge topic of discussion among college kids. If you care about saving the environment, it's important to know some basic solar energy facts so you can be more educated on the topic.

5

Switching to solar energy is a great way to reduce our carbon footprint. Here are three facts you should know about solar energy.

Solar Energy is Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels

Many people are hesitant to switch to solar panels because they feel it will be more expensive than using traditional sources of energy such as fossil fuels. This is because the sun does not charge people money for the energy it provides. This means really the only cost we have to endure is for the installation of solar panels, which have become increasingly more affordable and easier to get due to government incentives, tax rebates, and loans.

Solar Energy is More Abundant Than Every Other Energy Source

Solar energy is the most abundant source of energy, especially when compared to non-renewable energy sources. The sun does not simply run out of energy or light, but earth cannot keep producing coal for our energy needs. There is enough solar energy produced each year to provide for all of humanity.

Solar Panels Are Much Cheaper Than They Used to Be

Solar panels have decreased rapidly in the last 40 years, and show no signs of slowing down. While the current cost of solar panels may still intimidate many people, you have to consider how quickly they pay for themselves by eliminating your electric bill every month. Also, as I briefly mentioned above, you can get tax rebates, incentives, and loans to cover the cost of installing solar panels.

China is the World Leader in Solar Energy

California is paving the way for solar energy in the United States, but China is leagues ahead of us and the rest of the world. If the rest of the world follows in China's footsteps, we will be on our way to going completely solar in the distant (near?) future.