Social Media Is Making Us Self-Conscious

Why the amount of likes you give yourself is most important.

3225

In my last article, I wrote about mental health. Specifically, mental health disorders and how important it is that they are acknowledged and talked about by the public. However, what I didn’t write about was what I believe to be one of the biggest catalysts when it comes to contributing negative effects on mental health to teenagers- social media.

By this point, if you are an avid reader of my articles you probably think that I have something against technology. Although I have written several articles addressing some of the downsides to technology- impeding in person communication and encouraging individuals to stop using the written word- I would like to state that I do appreciate the benefits technology has to offer. From networking abilities on Linked-In to emailing opportunities with long-lost friends, technology certainly has allowed for a more advanced society. Still, we must look at one of the most prominent negative impacts that it has provided us with- social media.

When Facebook launched back in 2004, it was originally seen as a platform for college graduates and individuals looking to connect with their business partners. However, as time went on, younger generations started to utilize Facebook and become obsessed with the ability to upload photos of themselves and their friends doing various activities. And still, social media users wanted more. A platform in which messaging and statuses were not the focus was what people desired: one with a focus on pictures and videos was more important. Thus, Instagram and Snapchat gained their place in the spotlight and brought about a significant amount of backlash from doing so.

On an average day of scrolling through my Instagram feeds and various Snapchat stories that my friends post, I don’t think anything of it. I enjoy looking at their photos because it allows me to stay informed with what they are doing and all the adventures they are having. I could be wrong when I say this, but I would bet that a lot of people probably feel this way when it comes to seeing photos of their friends. The problem lies in the ability to follow and see stories of people who you aren’t necessarily close friends with, but may just have a class with and are curious about following, and it doesn’t stop there. The celebrity pages and various accounts like “imshmacked” and “tfmgirls” pose an even larger problem – one that convinces teenage girls that having large assets and being “down” when it comes to drinking makes you more attractive.

It is much easier said than done to tell someone to “stop looking at those photos”, or “don’t worry if your account doesn’t look like that, you are your own person”. While we might will ourselves to follow this advice, and believe it is the truth, it is difficult. We are constantly surrounded with images that lead us to believe being “hot” or “cool” is depicted by who we are on our various accounts, and that leads to comparing and not feeling “good enough” to a certain degree.

Personally, I believe that each social media account an individual has is like that persons own personal brand. It shows who you are, the kinds of things you care about, and the people who are most important to you. If this is the case, internal questions of “is this a good Instagram to post?” should not be occurring.

Sooner or later, we must wake up and realize two things:

Technology is a part of the present and the future, but it does NOT define who you are or how the world sees you.

I’m going to sound like a broken record here, but those in-person interactions are what prove your authenticity and allow you to show someone who you really are. They might try to find you later on Facebook or Instagram and try to see what you believe your own personal brand to look like, and if they don’t like what they see then they aren’t worth your time!

Technology may be a part of our lives now and forever, but if we keep giving it so much importance and value in our lives, we will lose one of the most incredible features of being human: being real. Social media is not real. It is merely a collage of pictures, posts, and videos that we have constructed while keeping in mind what we want other people to think and see about us. It is not the living, breathing, functioning person that is reading this article right now, and if you ask me, it shouldn’t be treated like it is.

Next time you start to let yourself become overwhelmed by the various Instagram accounts you see or videos shown on Snapchat, remember that you have your own label, and at the end of the day, the only person you should be trying to please with your image is you.