Taking A Social Media Hiatus Is Important For Your Mental Health

We all need a break once in a while.

129
Unsplash

Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram. These are just a few of the many social media platforms that we have profiles or accounts on. We check them every day, sometimes multiple times a day. Tweeting, liking, commenting. When we log on, we are surrounded by a bubble of opinions, likes and followers that takes us away from reality.

Sure, checking up on your friends while you're away from college or seeing your favorite celebrity's latest outfits can be fun, but what happens when we get bombarded with drama, polarizing political opinions, fake news or celebrity endorsements for products we "need"?

Social media has gone from connecting with your friends and family to its own culture. Too often we focus on what will make the perfect Instagram picture or what tweet will get the most retweets instead of just taking time to enjoy reality.

That's where the social media hiatus comes in. It's a period of time (usually one day to one week) where you don't use any social media. You can still do homework on your computer, call and text your friends and other things with your tablet/laptop/smartphone, but you don't touch any social media. Instead, enjoy the things in your life that make you happy! Make plans to have lunch with a friend, take your dog to the dog park, explore and find new places in your city or town that you've never seen before.

A social media hiatus feels like a breath of fresh air. It's very relieving to just step back from the craziness that is social media culture and check in with reality and your inner self. You don't have to give up social media completely, but a day or two without it once in a while is imperative to your mental health.

So this summer, try a social media hiatus. You'll be surprised at how relaxed you'll feel and how much more you can accomplish when you aren't wrapped up in whatever is going on online.