The Importance Of A Social Media Fast

The Importance Of A Social Media Fast

Taking a break from social media has countless benefits that not only impact you but also those around you

128
The Importance Of A Social Media Fast

As the world progresses towards its indefinite future one thing is for certain; the influence of social media will not decrease. The constant need of approval was never an issue until now when social media has become us and quite frankly defines us. So many people allow the influence of social media to define what beauty or even success is. The excessive use of Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat or even Tik Tok opens the doorway to constant comparisons between one another. This comparison has a dramatic effect on not just teens, but people of all ages. It's a toxic game of who is better than who. Though all the negatives seem overbearing, the use of social media does have its benefits. It allows for connections and networking as well as creating an outlet to express yourself, but even though there is lots of good, it is still critical to take a step back every once in a while and revive yourself.

Because social media can be so detrimental to the importance of a break every so often is becoming more and more critical. Not having the constant pressure that comes with social media allows you to really find yourself. As cheesy as that sounds, it is true. Constantly scrolling through your feed often makes you feel bad about yourself because of that constant comparison, and with that comparison comes the want to be like others making you forget how amazing you truly are. When you reverse that 'social media spell' by not having it influence you, you begin to feel confident and once again find yourself. Without even realizing it, we let social media ruin us and that's why it is so critical to take a social media break.

Not only does a social media fast impact you, but it impacts those around you because you have more time to spend with them. The vast amount of time spent on social media could be used to play with your dog or cat or it could be used to spend time with those you love such as friends, family or a significant other. A social media fast allows you to build a stronger relationship with those who will lift you up when you fall down and feel as if you have reached rock-bottom. An Instagram post or Tweet won't be there to build you up when you're at your lowest so it is imperative to continue building those relationships. Plus the joy found from making memories with friends and family is much more meaningful than the joy social media may bring.

Logging out of all social media and taking a break brings an excessive amount of joy no matter how hard it may seem. It is important to take a break and look at the world around you through your own eyes and not the eyes of a phone screen.