Social Media In 2018

Social Media In 2018

Social Media: What keeps us Millennials alive.

138
Social Media In 2018
physiotalk

Social media has completely taken over our world- as if you haven't already known that. But what is it that makes us millennials so obsessive over getting the perfect picture, filter, and aesthetic? Is it a sense of feeling accepted when our beautiful Huji cam photos get 200 likes? Or when our tweets go viral? Whatever the case may be, there's no getting around it. We scroll through Instagram, Twitter, VSCO, and Snapchat stories when we're bored, in bed, in class, and even walking. Whether using social media to pass the time or actively posting, it's here to stay. Based on talking to fellow millennials and my own personal preference, there are 4 main social media platforms that are used religiously in 2018: Instagram, Twitter, VSCO, and Snapchat. Of course, Facebook and Tumblr are also important to us, but as new and popular platforms are created for us we tend to gravitate towards these more.

Instagram

Although not proven, I personally think that Instagram is the number 1 app that millennials and even Gen Xers tend to gravitate towards. Everyone is on Instagram- celebrities, models, politicians, hair stylists, YouTube stars, and even dogs (not complaining about that one). I believe Instagram is the most used app because of the freedom of expression that each user holds. You can set up your page in any way you like, having an aesthetic that is pleasing to the eye and bound to make people follow. Here is an account that portrays a popular aesthetic that a lot of people strive for:

With a well-organized and pleasing look to one's photos, it leaves your Instagram account interesting, pretty, and satisfying. Who wouldn't want to follow an account like this? It is natural of millennials to constantly be taking photos- of the beach, the sunset, our pets, our food, our friends, and of course ourselves. Taking the perfect selfie which includes the perfect lighting and filter is inevitable for us- we have the mentality that the better the photo, the better it will do (likes wise). I wouldn't say that I am "guilty" of this mindset, but rather I partake in it, I am a millennial after all. With all this being said, ask yourself if you use Instagram the most out of all your social media accounts, whether that be posting your perfect pictures of just scrolling. While you're at it, follow me: @elisecamuso_

Twitter

Twitter is used by everyone- politicians, celebrities, professors, and ordinary people like you and me. Here's my handle: @elisecamuso_ hehe. Although seeming to be most popular in 2010-2015, Twitter will always be an outlet for people to express their feelings, say what they're up to, share photos, and follow their favorite celebrities. The app has the option to make your tweets private, which you can do if you don't want the whole world seeing your thoughts, but just know that people can't retweet you when this setting is on- so if you're trying to get one of your tweets go viral, make sure your profile is on public. Who could forget the famous Donald Trump tweet?

What the hell is a covfefe? I don't even want to know. Anyway, people use Twitter to promote their businesses, express their opinions on any topic, tweet song lyrics, poetry, just about anything and everything. Just be careful not to start Twitter beef with anyone, the Internet is a very sensitive place.

VSCO

VSCO Cam seems to be the newest and one of the most used apps this year. Most people advertise their profiles in their Instagram bios, looking something like this: vsco.co/elisecamuso- (shameless self-promo). On this app, people post photos of anything from selfies, makeup, and fashion- to food, animals, and nature. Cute texts from bae are also published sometimes. VSCO has a similar feel to Tumblr, where you can republish other people's photos and they will show up on your profile under "collections." The app includes a lot of different filters that you can edit your photos with, leaving them looking perfect and hopefully cool enough to get some republishes. VSCO seems to be a platform where unconventional photos are posted- some people wouldn't post their personal texts on Instagram, but instead on VSCO. This is probably because it is more secretive than Instagram in a way- although there is no privacy setting on VSCO, people feel more comfortable posting personal photos on here because not many people have the app, or care to click the link that leads to your profile. Men are of course open to use this app, but it seems to have a predominately female population. A VSCO profile looks something like this:

Here you can see a photo of my jeans, something that I wouldn't post on Instagram but instead on VSCO. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you have the app you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Snapchat

After the new update, Snapchat has definitely not been as popular as it used to be. With the rise of Instagram stories, Snapchat is used less and less and most people just use the app to snap their friends or use the filters. One good thing about this app is that the filters change almost daily, which is a versatile quality that most other apps do not offer. After Kylie Jenner tweeted "Sooo does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore? Or is it just me... ugh this is so sad," according to CNN Tech, the app has lost over $1.3 billion. It seems to me that Snapchat is heading down the same road as Myspace.

P.S. you should add me: elisecamuso. :)

What's your favorite app to use? Mine would have to be Instagram, because not only can I post stories that disappear after 24 hours like Snapchat, but I can also post permanent photos, change my username at will, adjust my privacy settings, and make my page anyway I like it.