Soccer Is Changing The World

Soccer Is Changing The World

Empowering children to accomplish goals.

1579
Soccer Is Changing The World
Newsweek

Soccer, most commonly known internationally as football, is a sport where all you really need is a ball, a make-shift goal, and a field to kick the ball. The low amount of supplies needed for this game makes it easy for anyone with a low budget to play. Since of the sports inexpensiveness, soccer is arguably the cheapest sports to play which allows very poor communities to have fun while getting exercise. This means that communities all over the world, poor or rich, can play soccer if the minimum materials are given.

The United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund, most commonly known as UNICEF, is a branch of the United Nations focusing strictly on global problems with children. They send multi-purpose packages to children in need across the globe. One of UNICEF's most common package is a school-in-a-box which provides children the necessary school supplies to learn properly.

UNICEF not only provides school-in-a-box, but other packages which include food, toys, and sports equipment. The main sport that is provided to children is soccer because of its minimum supplies needed.

Soccer has been a main topic within UNICEF because of how powerful sports can be for the development of children. Countries all over the globe have now developed programs with UNICEF that involves soccer and children.

In Ghana, a program called Football for Water was established to help children learn a healthy lifestyle as well as gather partners to help ensure that the children can have clean water to drink.

In Honduras, a famous Honduran soccer player, Hector Zelaya, created "Football for Life" which is a program that has games for children, which not only allow time for physical activity as well as a mentor program to help the children establish good values and successful work ethics.

Football for Water and Football for Life are only just two examples of how UNICEF is using soccer to evoke social change. Countries all over the globe have been using soccer to help children get physical activity and learn the valuable lessons involved in playing sports.

UNICEF even joined FIFA in a campaign called Unite for Children, Unite for Peace. The partnership happened because soccer is "a powerful platform to show how sport[s] can create self-esteem, self-confidence, and trust among children."

Soccer has been making major impacts of thousands of people. It gives children the chance to get physical activity while learning valuable lessons about being part of a team.

It is a sport that is changing the world.