So You Think Cheating Is OK?

So You Think Cheating Is OK?

Biologically, we might be animals, but you're better than that.

36
So You Think Cheating Is OK?
Getty Images

I'd bet a considerable amount of money that if you asked a random group of people, "Is cheating OK?" they would not hesitate to answer strongly against it and denounce cheating in any form.

Then why is cheating still so prevalent?

As animals, we are not technically monogamous creatures. Biologically speaking, we were programmed to simply reproduce and carry on the human species. That essentially means that cheating is just in our genetic makeup because we're supposed to have sex with multiple partners, and often.

Now before you ditch your partner and go hop on everyone who walks past you (because science) reconsider the implications of grinding yourself down to your biological core. Are you willing and ready to be considered as an animal, and nothing more? Are you totally willing to say 'hell with it' to millions of years of biological evolution and start foraging and live out of a cave?

I didn't think so.

We as humans now have the luxury never afforded to our cave-dwelling ancestors, and even our more recent ancestors, we don't really have to reproduce to survive. We have a surplus of people on this planet, and arguably a little too many. That means we also have the chance to find ourselves in monogamous relationships, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

But inevitably, like most good things, someone has to screw it up. And for some reason, our society has magnified and even accepted these screw ups.

I'm talking side chicks, other men, and the glorification of being a "main bitch," like there's supposed to be a hierarchy amongst someone's significant others.

Unfortunately, there are SO many avenues today to be unfaithful. Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and a host of other social media sites have in-app chat features that can be deleted easily and never seen again. Hell, even text messages can be deleted at the tap of a finger.

Regardless, cheating is never and will NEVER be an acceptable aspect of a relationship. If you've made a commitment to someone to stay loyal, that means don't act like a glorified pimp. Stop Snapchatting people who would upset your significant other, don't "accidentally" get someone's number, don't play the field outside your relationship and test the waters simply because you're "looking for something better." The sad reality is that within a relationship, someone on the outside will always be "better" and even within my own current relationship I've thought about greener pastures. But like your old aunt or father will probably tell you, "the grass is green where you water it."

You picked this person to commit to for a reason, and if you're not mature enough to handle the often delicate feelings of a significant other, then walk away. Cheating and lying are some of the most dangerous things you can do to someone emotionally who puts their trust in you, and I will not condone it whatsoever, from men OR women (because neither party is less guilty).

At the bare bones, people who cheat are lowlifes. Intentional dishonesty is disgusting and detrimental to the well-being of all parties involved. And if you do "accidentally" hurt your partner (although highly unlikely) then own up to it and quit being a child.

So moral of the story? If you want to behave like an animal, then do so. But don't expect to find respect from me or any of the other level-headed individuals.