So you changed your major
Education

So you changed your major

For the ones that decided to change their major....

20
So you changed your major

For the ones that decided to change their major.... IT'S OK !!!!!!!

During high school ,we're expected to know exactly what we want to do with the rest of our lives. We're expected to put that into a 500 word essay in hopes of getting into our dream university. We're taught to get the best ACT or SAT score possible, to get straight A's and to take all the AP tests. We've tried so hard to perfect school and studies, that we have lost our joy for discovering what we're actually interested in.

When I first started college, I came in as a freshman thinking I knew exactly what I wanted to do but wow was I wrong. I found myself stuck in a slump, not knowing how to get out. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do; exactly what my future was going to look like. I remember bawling my eyes out in my advisors office thinking, "Wow, I'm going nowhere in life." School seemed pointless at this point. I remember it like yesterday. The day I called my mom crying in the car telling her how I was so lost and confused. I had no clue what I wanted to do. She had the most genuine voice when she said, "Taylor, you can do anything you put your mind to. It's ok to change your major, heck, it's even ok to change your major more than once. You need to find what makes you happy, and pursue it." The most supportive? I know. I went into my advisors office the next day and told her I would be changing my major. I filled out a change of major form, got a new advisor, and started my journey in what seemed like a whole new world. Classes changed, professors differed, and my life switched with one small choice. The end of sophomore year came around and a new major in my field of study was introduced. I changed again. 2 majors. 2 years. But now I'm right on track to doing exactly what I want to do with my life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's ok to change your major. It's more important to find out what you're interested in and be happy in what you do, than be unhappy doing something you absolutely hate. Whoever pays for you to go to a college or university spends a lot of money for you to find out what you want to do with your life. When you change your major because you found something else that sparks your interest, you are getting something meaningful out of the thousands of dollars being spent on attending an institution.

Changing your major is a bold claim of what is rightfully yours - what you want to study and the type of future you want to pave for yourself.