So you’re no longer a freshman…

So you’re no longer a freshman…

7
So you’re no longer a freshman…

Everyone outwardly hates them, but secretly upperclassmen wish they were back in their freshman glory days.

Being a freshman in college is possibly one of the most vulnerable times in your adult life, and also one of the best years of your entire life.  Sure, there are ups and downs, but you really cannot beat that new feeling of freedom and control.

A typical “freshman” is always mocked and joked about because you are the lowest on the totem pole and you really just do not know your surroundings just yet.  In my humble opinion, there is no time more exciting than your freshman year of college, and here is why.          

Living on your own for the first time: One of the greatest parts of being a freshman is getting to live without your parents for the first time.  This is really not all that exciting once you have been doing it for an extended period of time, because who actually wants to do things like laundry, make dinner, pay bills, etc., but when it is time for you to do all of these things for the first time, you could not be happier to be independent.  

Eating in the dining hall: The dining hall is a magical place where you can basically eat your weight in whatever you want.  Fries, salad, soup, you name it and you can probably eat it in large amounts. Once you are older, you often lose the luxury of a meal plan, so soak it all in while you can!    

Dorms:  Dorms are fun because for the first time in your life you are living with your peers rather than your parents and siblings, meaning that it is essentially a constant sleepover with boys…. You are basically living the dream.  I can honestly say that one of the things I will miss most about freshman year is living with all of my best friends on the same floor.  

Alcohol: Chances are you have a relatively low alcohol tolerance when you are a freshman, but that does not last long.  This is very sad because you now have to A) spend more money on alcohol and B) take in many more calories than necessary just to get drunk, however the calories prove to be all too worth it.    

Sorority life: You are no longer a “baby” and there is no longer a lot of unconditional love for you no matter what, and now your sisters actually treat you like a normal member. Also, you have to take a Little so you are not the youngest in your family anymore.  This is probably the most heartbreaking of all the changes, because being a Little is much better than having one. 

Boys: Being a freshman is essentially the best position to be in when looking to meet boys.  Don’t ask me why, but all guys in college prey on freshman, probably because they are so vulnerable and impressionable. Either way, you will love all of the attention, probably a little bit too much.  Once you are no longer a freshman you actually have to pay attention to how old guys are, and who wants to do that? Soak in all the attention while you can, because once you are a sophomore and the boys only seem to like the freshman you will shed a tear and remember the good old days.     

There are many other great things about being a freshman, but these are just some very important points and things I will miss greatly, but don’t get me wrong, the best is yet to come!