So... What's Your Major?

So... What's Your Major?

The confusing truths about planning your career.

181
So... What's Your Major?
Cardinal

All of our lives everyone is bombarded with this question: "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

For me, this answer changed from teacher, astronaut, new reporter, etc. At one point near the end of my junior year of high school, I wanted to run my own surf shop (so what if I don't know a lot about surfing.) But at the end of the day, we all have to pick a major that best fits our passions and personality.

All throughout my life I have loved art and being able to create anything, whether it be paintings, poems, taking pictures - you name it - but I struggled with finding a major that put this creative energy to good use.

All throughout my senior year of high school, I was set on majoring in special education for children, until the day of my AOP when I sporadically changed it to Creative Advertising. I soon decided to double major in studio art which so far has been one of the best decisions I have made while in college. I realized that being passionate about my major has made me enjoy my classes much more and that sometimes it takes two majors or a major and a minor to perfectly put my talent and interests into a field where I can get a job one day.

My advice for students struggling with picking a major or figuring out their college plans is to reflect on what you're good at and where you seem the happiest.

Also talk to friends and family members about their experiences with majors and minors, sometimes the best way to figure out what you want to pursue is to be inspired by others. Be proud of your major. I know I could never take hard math and science classes like my roommate, but I never get discouraged about not being able to solve hard math equations.

The truth is that everyone in college is always trying to figure out the next steps to take in life, and it's okay if some have it all planned out and others don't. As corny as it sounds, follow your heart to where you seem the happiest and work hard to be the best at it. Maybe you could be the next Bill Bye the Science Guy or Pablo Picasso; you never know!