9 Reasons Snow In Chicago Is Better Than Rain

Nothing beats the beauty of snow and the winter season.

172

After living in Chicago for nearly four and a half years, I have come to enjoy the city in all its seasons. There's a mild fall which leads to a frigid winter, followed by a usually mild, but unpredictable spring and then a scorching summer. Even though I enjoy these seasons equally because let's be honest, each has its own charm, there's one thing I know for sure: snow in Chicago is better than rain. Although the winter winds make me happier for the summer heat, the snow brings a smile to my face. Here are the 9 reasons why this is true in Chicago.

1. Snow is prettier than rain

The first sprinkling of snow is the prettiest thing to wake up to at the beginning of the winter season.

2. It's pretty at night too!

You can also soak in the beautiful Chicago downtown skyline while ice skating or strolling through the city at night.

3. You can make snowmen with it

Go to the park and build one or several snowmen with your friends. It's fun, relaxing and something you can't make with rain.

4. You can play in it

What game are you going to play in the rain? Grab your friends and head to a park for a snowball fight.

5. Photograph the ice along Lake Shore Drive

Created by the wind and snow, this is something you could never see with rain. Just look how beautiful they are!

6. Take a road trip to Starved Rock State Park

Hiking is no fun in the rain while you're getting pummeled, so take advantage of the winter months to see Starved Rock in a rare light.

7. Visit the Christkinld Market in its natural beauty

Chicago boasts endless activities through every season, and the Christkindl market downtown is always worth a visit. The snow always makes this destination even more spectacular.

8. Watch the snow sheets crack and fall off the Bean

The rain just streaks down and makes it wet while the snow covers it in a beautiful sheet that takes its time to crack and fall off. Each time you go back it'll look different.

9. Go sledding 

What says childhood more like sledding? Break out your sleds and have a day of fun with your friends in the snow.