What Are Snow Days Anyways?

What Are Snow Days Anyways?

Especially in Maine, they don't exist.

128

I have grown up in New England my entire life, and anyone who knows New England weather knows that one day it will be 50 and sunny and the next we will have 3 feet of snow. There is not a happy medium, in between. But snow days have drastically changed over the years especially as I moved from Connecticut to Maine for school.

As a kiddo, I loved snow days, playing in the snow and then having a big ole cup of hot chocolate all cuddled up under the fuzziest of blankets. They were amazing. No worries, no school just a fun day at home.

But then, I got older.

And moved, to one of the snowiest places in the country.

The snow days became scarcer and scarcer. And we get a lot of snow up here in Maine. But there is no point in canceling school for 5 inches of snow when "everyone" knows how to deal with it up here. So classes are rarely canceled.

Sometimes, I really really miss the snow. And coming for me that's saying something because I really am not a fan of the snow, in any way shape or form. It may not be the snow itself that I miss but the break. Having a day off to regroup and reorganize and catch up or whatever is needed.

That's what I miss.

"Mental Health Days" are super super important. They help you keep your sanity. They keep you from feeling overwhelmed and stressed. They prevent injuries and illness whether it be from a virus or just emotional stress and draining. Mental health days are good for so many more reasons too.

And plus sometimes, YOU JUST NEED A DAMN DAY!

But as I get further into my college career, while I missed the snow days and the mental health days more than ever, I also really didn't want to have a snow day. Weird right? At first, I was just thinking that I was going crazy. Because who wouldn't want a day off, especially a full-time student who is also working full time.

Me!

This is why I knew that if we had a snow day I would still have work to do. My professors would most likely just make me responsible for the material missed and let's be honest who actually sits down and thoroughly covers the material missed. And I can't ask questions from the comfort of my bed.

But in reality this last snow storm, I didn't want the snow day for completely selfish reasons. If we had a snow day on Wednesday, my exam would be moved to Friday. And then I would have two back to back exams in my hardest classes on a Friday morning. Yes, it would give me more time to study but like then I will over study for one and not study enough for the other.

So I'm being selfish!

And my friends think I am totally insane and ruining their chances of a day off. BUT I DON'T CARE.

It is okay to be a little selfish every now and again. Take the time for YOU! Do what is best for you and think whatever makes you happy. Stop worrying about everyone else, for every second of every day and

TAKE CARE OF YOU!