Snapchat Stories

I recently tried to explain Snapchat to my mom. “I send someone a picture and they can only see it for a certain amount of seconds, and they can never see it again.”With that kind of description, I’m sure she can only assume I’m sending questionable pictures to boys. What she doesn’t know is that I’m actually sending unflattering pictures of my triple chin to friends or wondering if my friends are alive Sunday morning after Quals.

While Snapchat is always the best way to send disgusting and unattractive pictures to deserving friends, it also is the best low-key way to see who someone is currently flirting with via iPhone (check their top 3). I’m a creepy stalker, I know.

With the semi-recent creation of Snapchat stories, I have found myself torn between my love and hatred for my once favorite app. It’s mostly great in the sense that you don’t have to hand-select the people that get to view it, and I’m also all about seeing who looked at my story.

Snapchat story was made for passive-aggressively telling people what you’re up to, similar to all social media. However, with Snapchat story's 24-hour viewing period, the things you put on there seem more temporary and uncensored compared to Instagram or Twitter.

It’s common for intoxicated girls to put up 10-second clips of themselves and their friend singing along to "Take Me Home" in a smelly basement at 2 a.m. with a small chance of repercussions in the morning. I urge you to save your dignity and 10 seconds of everyone’s lives by avoiding these kinds of stories.

I speak from first-hand experience. I once (or a dozen) times have done similar Snapchat stories and I woke up with 71 views of myself doing a kissy-face selfie with a Hamm’s/friend/random/hobo/etc. Ugh.

There’s no right or wrong Snapchat story, but if you think you’re going to delete it as soon as you wake up from your alcohol-induced coma, then you should try your best to refrain from posting it.