SNAP Food Requirements Are A Step In the Right Direction

Not an undue policy but rather overdue

587
LexiHanna

President Trump’s decisions in office have been inarguably controversial and widely debated. He has implemented travel ban policies and immigration policies to name a few. Recently he introduced a SNAP food change: by which recipients for welfare and food stamps will have to meet certain requirements for eligibility to continue them.

This policy will require those who may need welfare assistance and food stamps to cooperate with new stipulations to qualify. Recipients will be limited to a shorter time period to receive benefits unless they work 80 hours a month or attend educational and training activities. Recipients also will be required to pass drug tests before being eligible to receive welfare assistance.

This policy has received backlash as well as praise. There have been claims that making residents seek work and put in a mere 80 hours a month, or participate in other forward-moving activities is unreasonable. Numerous citizens also believe it is unfair to require recipients to pass a drug test- stating “since when was food a privilege?” and other nonsensical remarks. However, states will be allotted the option to amend time frames given for recipients based on circumstances- originally a three month program.

Rather than unfair, these new changes are extremely necessary and logical. The assertion that it is unfair to drug test welfare recipients seems more of a dig to complain about a good-natured policy from President Trump. The drug epidemic in America is out of hand, and we absolutely should be taking steps to fix it. This is one of those steps. This does not mean “food is a privilege,” rather a necessity. It is an attempt to make drug users consider: food or drugs? It is not cruel nor exclusive to drug test citizens who receive government assistance. It may be a very hard decision for some and it can certainly be difficult to overcome the seeming dependency users form for drugs, but it is a logical and useful tactic for conquering the drug epidemic.

Allowing welfare recipients to receive help without requirements has only worsened the poverty and welfare rates in this country. Why seek a job or stop using substances when everything you need is handed to you anyways? There is no motivation to job search or overcome addiction/use if there are no consequences to unemployment by choice and drug use. It is unfair to those hard working Americans when those who are unemployed and using are receiving government help to be comfortable with their own decisions. A normal work week is 40 hours- this policy only requires 80 hours in the entire month. That is less than what an average full-time working American works per week by 50%. There is no reason a healthy American on welfare cannot or should not seek employment. Requiring welfare and SNAP recipients to pass drug tests and work 80 hours a month or attend educational/training activities is a logical, necessary step to take. To revolt and complain about a policy for the good such as this one is only an attempt to discredit President Trump and his attempt at bettering the country.