How To treat snake bites

How To Treat Venomous Snake Bites

Get an overview of what venom is and how you can avoid it in your day to day activities

16
How To Treat Venomous Snake Bites

Venomous snakes can be found on all continents around the world except for Antarctica. More than likely you live in a region that is home to a native species of Venomous snake, if not several. Throughout the world there are at least 3000 species of snakes, but only about 15 percent of the snake species are said to be of concern to humans. Those 15 percent are what we will focus on as we explore their toxic venom, where they live, and what you can do to avoid contact with their fangs.

Snake Venom

There are essentially 4 types of venom and each venomous snake has at least one, and in a few cases, all. They two main types of venom are Hemotixic and neurotoxic and were said to be the only two for some time but now we know that some snakes carry venoms that are myotocic and cytotoxic, but these are rare. Hemotoxic types of snake venom are designed to attack the blood and tissue and are extremely painful. These cause local effects that can be permanent, but will most likely not result in death but definitely can. Neurotoxic venom is typically more potent and dangerous than Hemotoxic, but is said to result in less pain as it affects the nervous system and brain. The results are characterized by shutting down of certain body organs, muscle spasms, and distorted brain function. Antivenom needs to be administered as soon as possible if neurotoxic venom is injected into a person's body.

Venomous Snake Distribution

USA: In the United States, 47 out of 50 states are home to at least one of the 19 species of venomous snakes that call it home. Of these they can be broken into two groups: Coral snakes and the much more widespread pit viper. There are 17 species of pit vipers in the US and include all of the rattle snakes, copperheads and water moccasins. All of these species, just like the pit vipers around the world have Hemotoxic venom except for the pigmy rattlesnake which also has nuerovenom. Both species of coral snake have neurotoxic venom. On average there are about 8000 snake bites a year in the U.S. with those resulting in less than 8 deaths a year.

Australia: This continent is home to the 11 most poisonous land snakes in the world, and one of few places where there are actually more venomous snakes than nonvenomous. Luckily though, most live in remote areas so fatalities are rare. There is an average of 3000 bites and 2 deaths a year here, a true testament to the power of antivenoms as at one time 50% of these bites resulted in death. The Inland Taipan is arguably the strongest venom produced by any land snake in the world. It lives in a small portion of Australia though which is mostly remote, so bites are rare. The Brown and Tiger Snakes are responsible for the most bites in the A.U.

Europe: Most venomous snakes living in Europe belong to the viper family and deliver Hemotoxic venom that is comparably weak on a scale with many other snakes throughout the world. On average, 30 people die annually from snake bites, but that would be much higher if it weren't for plentiful medical help with antivenom.
Africa: The biggest problem that Africa faces when it comes to venomous snakes is the fact that medical care is sparse. Antivenoms require a high level of care and need to be refrigerated. This is why Africa has so many deaths from snake bites each year. That and because they have many species of snakes with strong venom.

Asia: All of southern Asia is a mecca for venomous snakes and their toxic bites. This area is responsible for more than all other snake bites in the world combined. India is the hot bed of it all. Again, much like Africa, the lack of antivenoms and medical services is the main reason for death by lethal snake toxins. It is estimated that 50,000 people die a year in India alone from snake bites. Most of the deaths are on agricultural workers that work in the farm land that attracts snake prey. The Russell's Viper is the most deadly snake in the world (not the most toxic, see Australia above) and kills up to 20,000 Indian's every year.

https://youtu.be/dJ-mgAciAtQ

What to Do If Bit By a Venomous Snake: GET MEDICAL ATTENTION!!!

1. Keep calm and get away from the snake.
  2. Keep bite lower than the heart and apply a snug band two inches above and below the bite, but do not make it so tight as to cut off circulation. Slowing the venom moving through the tissue is the goal.
  3. Immobilize the bite area to reduce the spread of venom with a splint.
  4. If there is a long distance to travel, help will be needed to minimize movement.
  5. Contact emergency services as soon as possible and get medical attention where you will be administered anti venoms.

Conclusion

While it is always good to know about venomous snakes what to do if you get bit, the best thing you can do is avoid getting bit all together. The most definite thing you can do is avoid venomous territory. Of course, this is not always that easy as said. A good way to prevent venomous snake bites is to wear snake protective gear. Snake protection comes in many different forms, and what is best for you will vary with your situation. Snake boots, gaiters, chaps, pants, and gloves are all available for purchase. You can learn more about snake protective gear and the best brands of each at this site safedoom.com