Small Town Iowa Girls Trip To Chicago

Small Town Iowa Girls Trip To Chicago

Three girls one city

24
Small Town Iowa Girls Trip To Chicago
Aidan Meyer

Over spring break I had planned to do literally nothing with my time. I was maybe planning to visit with family, and work on a project that was due right when I returned back to school. I should have known with the way that my life runs I wasn't going to be able to just lounge around all break. Over the weekend when break started I received a text message from Olinca, one of my very close friends and old high school classmate. She asked "Hey, what are you doing Wed. Thurs. and Fri.?" and I was like "nothing, why?" and i got a text a little later that said, "ya wanna go to Chicago?". At first, I was kinda like come on don't play with me like are we really gonna go cause it's kind of a longer drive, and we've never even been to a big city. After we talked about who would drive and who would come, we found that only us two were really able to go out of our friend group.

Come Tuesday night we are heading to Iowa City to spend the night there before the long haul to Chicago. On the way there I posted a picture to my snap story. Another girl that we are friends with, Jillian, messaged me in the chat and she wanted to come. Which was awesome because she's so fun to have around, and also it's less to pay for the hotel. After staying over in Iowa City at another friends apartment we were off to pick up Jillian from Mount Vernon. We left around 10:30 from Iowa City so we could stop and get breakfast, get gas, and fill up the tires with air just to be safe. After stopping to do that we were finally on the way to Jillian. We picked Jillian up in Mount Vernon around 12:00 p.m. and finally we were up and running to Chicago.

At least we thought until like 20 minutes into the drive we here someone from the back seat go "I have to pee", that backseat person being Jillian. We stopped again in Clinton, IA to go to the restroom, and grab a snack for the road. Now finally we were off to the Windy City. It was all smooth driving throughout, stopping at occasional tolls on the road. When we started hitting the outside of Chicago was where we ran into a little bit of trouble. We hit traffic and we hit it hard, for us it was surprising because it was a Wednesday and we didn't think there would be a lot of traffic but boy were we wrong. We sat in standstill traffic for about and hour or more, along with cars weaving in and out sliding by other cars and surprisingly causing no accidents. It was a this moment, and the moment we reached inner city that we realized Chicago drivers are ruthless, and very offensive drivers. They don't care about anybody, and at some points I thought they don't even care about themselves.

So we made it to the inner city, which was a huge step because we had never driven in a place like that with streets we didn't know. There were one ways everywhere, and roads that didn't have lines on them so you had no clue when another lane was going to form out of the blue. There were cars driving fast, a guy got out of his car and opened his trunk at a red light. That was so shocking because I had never and I mean EVER seen someone do something so casually like that before. After finally reaching the hotel it was just like in the movies. Have you ever seen Gossip Girl or any shows with the setting in the city? Well I can tell you that they got it exactly right. When we first arrived there was a valet guy in a big black coat and those hats that they wear. Olinca gets out and she talks to the Valet/Doorman greeter, and then heads inside to check us in. Jillian and I wait in the car and then we wait some more, and then we wait some more and finally Olinca arrives back to the car. "We don't have a hotel room but grab your stuff so they can park the car and we'll figure it out." Now I don't know about anyone else but I was like we're about to be sleeping in the car for these next two nights.

After that we get all of our stuff inside and we are just hanging out in the lobby trying to figure it out, and finally the company we booked through called the hotel and we got it all squared away.

We enter out room and there is one king bed, yes all three of us slept on one king bet for two nights me in the middle, Olinca to the left of me, and Jill to the right. Our hotel had a fabulous view from outside our window, it was absolutely the best one we could have gotten I think. There was a terrace on the top of the hotel that you were able to walk out on and there were apartment buildings next to us that you could see into and skyscrapers on skyscrapers. We could also see to the other hotels fitness room so ya know, boys working out, I don't need to go into any further detail. After we got everything settled we decided to take on the city right then and there. For dinner we went to Portillo's which was amazing their hot dogs, and their cheese fries were the things that tasted the best from our group. The restaurant was very cool with neon lights and tons of different groups and people getting off work, and the ladies that called out your food even snag into the microphone. After eating there we walked around the city looking at all the shops they had from a two story Forever 21, to a HUGE Sephora, Nike Store, Under Armour store, Coach, Burberry literally anything and it was there or around there. After looking around we all decided to go back to our hotel and head to bed since we had a big day the next day.

Sleeping in that bed was interesting to say the least. I turned to the left "oh hey Olinca" turned to the right "oh hey Jill" also it was a like a hotbox in there. Jill and Olinca also fought because there was either to much light showing or not enough light showing. Needless to say we came up with a little bit of an "agreement". Finally we were all asleep and on our way to finding our way through the big city, YAY.

We are now up at 8:30ish a.m. Thursday morning getting Dunkin' Doughnuts. After getting breakfast we started getting ready at the hotel and we were out the door a few minutes before 10:30 (which was our original leave time). Our very first stop was The Bean, and let me tell you guys it looks exactly like a bean. It's shocking right, I mean as cool as it was to see it, it was not something that was the best thing I have ever seen but definitely a cool experience and cool pictures. Our second stop was at Wildberry which was a cafe near The Bean that supposedly really good breakfast. We waited about an hour for our table, BUT the wait is so so worth it. Not only was our food amazing (I got an omelet, yum) we also got a super hot waiter. So all in all it was a 10/10 experience going to this restaurant. We had great food, forgot how to speak English around our attractive waiter, and Jill and I left our numbers (for fun of course). Neither of us got a text though, very sad.

Our second stop was Navy Pier. We took an Uber ride to Navy Pier and he was so awesome super super friendly guy, probably the same age as my grandpa and very fun! After arriving at Navy Pier we walked around inside and through one of the Cub's stores that they had in there. We walked by the water that was magnificently blue, and there were huge ships that were docked for people to get on. Also they have an inside area that's set up as a botanical center and of the water going into the different places and for the longest time we thought that it started coming out as a straw and it then when into its own flow. Well we put a stick in it and almost stopped the water from flowing (hehe). After leaving Navy Pier we then headed to Willis Sky Deck.

We took an Uber to the sky deck as well. This Uber was super interesting to meet he had a lot of philosophical information a lot about money and the government. After arriving at the Sky Deck we got to stand in line with a group of middle schoolers who were also there on spring break. After waiting in line for what seemed like forever we waited in line again for the elevator. Finally we were on the elevator and heading up the 103 floors to the very top. On the way up our ears began to pop quickly and they fit you in there with a good amount of people, oh also the elevator shakes on the way up. After enjoying the scariest moment of my life and walking out on the glass window we decided it was time to head on down to solid ground.

After our fun little adventures we decided to settle down and get a little bit to eat. We went to Giordano's, and they had the famous Chicago deep dish pizza. I would definitely recommend going there as well and there are two that I know of that are located around the city. Also don't ask any of us to pronounce the name for you because we have no clue and we tried, the only one who know's is Olinca. After enjoying our pizza we headed back to the hotel in another Uber.

This Uber was by far the best that we have had on this entire trip. 1st of all he was wearing a suit and one of our goals was to meet a business man so check. 2nd we was playing 21 Savage when we got in the car. All in all it was very good car ride, and I would definitely recommend Uber to anyone who is thinking of using it.

After we arrived back at the hotel we went up on top of the terrace of our hotel for pictures. While we were up there, we met another girl that was there and offered to take our pictures. After she took some amazing pictures, and told us we looked like models we took some pictures for her and we parted ways.

Our final hurrah, on our last final night was at The Sugar Factory. I AM NOT JOKING WHEN I SAY YOU HAVE TO GO HERE OR YOU WILL REGRET IT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Not only was the food here simply amazing (I had a Burger and Fries) but also they have there cauldron glasses that they mix a bunch of drinks/flavors with and put it in there and it FOGS. This drink also has candy in it (depending which one you get). They also have those milkshakes where they put toppings and syrup on the outside of the mug! Next they play really really good music on full blast which was super fun for all the birthdays they were celebrating that night. After getting done eating they also have there very own candy shop with tons of candies to chose from. We got some candy because I don't know how you could resist, but all in all it was worth it.

We then headed back to our hotel and went to bed, but not before we tried to get into the fitness center, it was locked. Next we tried to look up if the hotel was haunted, no luck. Finally we were back in our room fighting about how much light we should let in the room, well I wasn't fighting just Olinca and Jill. The next morning we ate breakfast at a wonderful cafe Eggsperience, great breakfast food. After that we headed back to the hotel where we saw the girl who took our pictures from the night before. We hung out with here for a little bit and found out she was a model. I know a model told us that we looked like models. She was also a famous person so we got to cross off meeting a famous person as well. After talking with her it was time to leave Chicago, which was sad but also kind of relieving in the same way.

Going to Chicago was such a great experience and I am so glad that I got the chance to go. I made so many memories and tried so many amazing foods. If you're thinking of going to Chicago don't hesitate just do it!