5 Pros And Cons About Going From A Small Town To A Big Campus

The endless opportunities make up for the few extra minutes it takes to walk to class.

250

It is a transition to go from a small town to a big college campus. You enter a college city and have to navigate the differences from your rural high school. For every pro, there is a con; yet, I wouldn't change it for anything. The new experiences and endless opportunities make up for the few extra minutes it takes to walk to class.

Pro: A lot of places to go.

A big campus means there are a lot of cool hang out spots and SO many places to get coffee. There are abundant options for places to eat and study too.

Con: The possibility of being late.

Because of the large campus, you will have to occasionally speed walk to class when you watch TV a few minutes too long. I personally don't mind walking, unless it is snowing outside. (And there is always the chance to take the bus.)

Pro: The city atmosphere.

Big campuses have an urban vibe. It is exciting to see the lights at night and the ongoing activity outside. There is the perfect mix of concrete and greenery to make it an enjoyable scenery.

dayton flyers college GIF by University of Dayton

Con: Lack of real nature.

The nighttime lights mean you can't see the stars or experience nature and the cornfields you grew up with. At least there are minimal chances of hitting a deer.

Pro: The weekend fun is endless with opportunities.

Since you are literally in a city, there are dozens of places to go like the mall, movie theater, or etc! The most difficult part is deciding where to go.

Con: Traffic

Not to mention the construction hindrances, urban areas pack a lot of people close together. This means minimal parking and lots of oncoming cars when you are trying to jaywalk across the street.

Pro: Anonymity.

Although it is a small world on campus because you will know people walking around, you can still be whoever and do whatever you want.

Con: Not knowing everyone.

This might be a change from a small town high school. There is a large population of students, so you won't know everyone. You will have to sit alone sometimes or share a table with strangers. At least college students are very friendly.

Pro: People watching

With all the activity and movement from place to place, you can watch the variety of people on campus. AKA, people watching. And judging. But we are all dorks so at least nobody cares while they silently relate and judge you.

Con: The lunch rush.

The busiest time of the day means you occasionally fight for a free table, but it makes the snag all the more special.