I Went To A Small High School And Chose A Big University

You will be provided with more opportunities than you believe yourself capable of managing and each will be offered to you with the greatest of enthusiasm.

135
flickr

Three years ago at this time, I was beginning to fill out my college applications.

My high school had an informal policy that required seniors to turn in applications to state schools very early and so at this exact moment, three years ago, there is a good chance I was panicking about one of those.

I had absolutely no idea where I wanted to go to college. In fact, even after I decided on the University of Michigan, I had no idea.

Looking back, I realize I received far too much input in the college application process to the point where it was almost confusing. I was extremely lost in my thinking. Though I was sure of myself as a person, I couldn't necessarily see myself at any school.

For certain people, it seemed to be no big deal: they had figured it out somehow! They would go to a large state school – didn’t matter which; a Big Ten; a smaller liberal arts school out east; a school where they would be close to family; a school in a city they liked; they would go to a school that offered a particular program, and some, would go for athletics.

Coming from a small high school, I understood the appeal of a smaller institution: it would be more hands-on, there would be smaller classes and shorter commutes to class; I would likely get more attention from teachers and there would be a more manageable social community.

It would be like a glorified version of my high school – or at least that’s how I thought of it at the time – and there would be nothing wrong with that.

I find it ironic now that I looked into a lot of small east coast schools, because one thing I wanted to avoid, at least to a certain extent, was going to a place, where, like my high school, it sometimes became too small. I didn’t want to entirely recreate my high school experience. I wanted something new. However, on the flip side, I didn't want to go to a huge state school that I wouldn't be able to navigate or consolidate either.

I wanted to go to Boston College, because I thought the campus was beautiful. With an enrollment of just under 15,000, it wasn’t too small – or too big. It was near Boston, one of my favorite cities. It provided a wide variety of majors, which was a good because I had no idea what I wanted to study – yes, I was undecided about a lot of things. And it was far from home.

Somehow, though – and I won't ever know exactly how – I ended up choosing the University of Michigan. I would be lying if I said it was my top choice. For a variety of reasons I won't go into, I didn't want to go to a state school – the University of Michigan included. It was very close to where I grew up, a lot of people I knew went there, and let's be honest, it was just too big.

Nevertheless, I write this as a junior, and so I’ve had more than enough time to evaluate my choice.

What you're not told about going to a school with over 40,000 people is that though you will not know 40,000 people, you will run into everyone you do know at some point. You will not feel like an insignificant speck in an enormous vicinity, but rather, a necessary component of a very important entity.

You will be provided with more opportunities than you believe yourself capable of managing – opportunities in business, public policy, public health, organizational studies, math, psychology (and there's thousands of others) – and that's okay. Each will be offered to you with the utmost enthusiasm.

You will get lose a time or two, but this will be the best part.

Because you will meet the most incredible people from, quite literally, all over. They will become your best friends and your most influential peers.

You will meet professors who genuinely care about your work, and who, if you're perceptive, can become your greatest allies.

I think what I like most about my university is that I have found I get out of it, exactly what I put in. My school has enriched my life in a number of ways because of the opportunities I have received, the organizations I have looked into, the people I have met and the books I have read: it's about quality, variety and sometimes, yes, very big lectures.

I would encourage anyone who is willing to embrace the big-ness! Because college only happens once.

And you can't go wrong, if you go big.