What The Holidays Are Like With A Small Family

I don't come from a big family. My holidays typically have four to five people at the dinner table, but that doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of disagreements. My parents and I choose to keep a majority of our business private from the rest of the family. We're not those close-knit families you see on TV and admire. I would even go as far as to say that my grandparents don't know the real me. I feel like I can never do anything right so I never talk about the things I'm truly passionate about.

But this doesn't mean the holidays still aren't special. We are all we have. When you only have a few people in your family spending time together becomes even more meaningful. You would drive across the state in a Thanksgiving snowstorm just to be with them for a few hours. Disagreements and personalities aside, family will always be there for you when it counts.

I always thought I wanted to marry into a big family. I always felt like I was missing out on things. I am an only child and my family has suffered its fair share of losses. But the older I get the more I realize just how special it is to come from a small family. It's a different level of love and closeness. They say you don't get to choose your family so make the best of what you have. You can't change where you came from but you can change how you respond to it. Cherish your family and the holiday moments while you still have time with them. You might want a larger family, but in reality, it's about the quality of time you have together.