Bras Are Annoying, So I Stopped Wearing Them

I get to decide what to do with them.

1813
Instagram

Bras are annoying.

They are sometimes constricting, the tag on bras scratches my skin, and when it's summer? DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED.

I can drone about the several reasons to why I stopped wearing bras. But I'll start with some details on my body and the beginning of my hate for bras.

I have average-sized breasts. Not big. Not small.

I was actually the first girl in my class to hit puberty a little too early. I remember girls making fun of me for my breasts and I remember always telling myself that if my breasts were to get a bit too "big", I'd get breast reduction. I remember yearning for the braless feel.

But as I got older, I stopped caring about the size of my breasts (sometimes, I still compare mine to others and feel bad, but that's beside the point) and my breasts' appearance.

At some point, I slowly stopped buying bras because there was really no reason for me to be wearing one. I refuse to pay several dollars for an elaborate bra that no one would even see. I refuse to pay several dollars for a bra that is so annoying and terrible to wear. Even if I did get a bra that fit me perfectly, I'd still complain about the fact that I was wearing a bra.

When I am not wearing a bra, I am so much more comfortable.

I think most people can relate to that great feeling you get when you take off your bra after a long day. It's freeing. It's liberating.

Once I stopped wearing bras, I sometimes felt like I still needed something that was not as constricting as a bra but can still cover them. So I switched to bralettes.

And I love them. They allow me to feel comfortable -- without the terrible underwires and tags.

Since I've stopped wearing bras, I've gained confidence in my body. Especially because of the fact that some people think that bustier women/people can't go braless. And to those people, I say: forget you. I have every right to go braless or not wear a bra just as you do. We both look good with or without a bra, no matter the breast size.

I even gained the confidence (and maybe some arrogance) in telling people that I am not wearing a bra. It feels great and I just want others to know that they, too, can go braless!

So basically, I've stopped wearing a bra because I just don't need to. Yeah, it comes with some health benefits and whatnot, but I technically don't need to wear a bra.

I don't really care if people think it's weird or inappropriate, but in the end, my breasts are all mine. I get to decide what to do with them. Which is what I love about "Free the Nipple". The encouragement and acknowledgment that women/people have the right to and to not wear a bra. And in this life of mine, I decided to free myself from the restricting bra life and now live a bralette/sometimes braless life.