3 Useful Skills To Pick Up This Winter Break

Now that the fall semester or quarter is over, it can feel like life is meaningless. Other than getting brunch with friends, participating in way too many secret santas for your own good, eating way too much junk food, and watching way too much Netflix, there really isn't anything productive to do. Usually by Christmas, I'm itching for a purpose in life again, and here are a few useful, but fun skills that you can pick up this winter break.

1. Python, HTML, or another coding language

In the world of ever innovating technology, it is extremely helpful to know an easy coding language even if you're not in the field of computer science. Having HTML or SQL on your resume as a business major can give you an advantage over other candidates, since you'll be naturally more tech savvy than everyone else. Knowing Python or Matlab as any science major can help you run lab tests quicker. It's also free to learn these languages on Code Academy, which teaches the languages in chapters so you can allocate as little or as much time as you want each day to learn.

2. Origami

This skill will come in handy when you're bored out of your mind somewhere with scrap paper as your only form of entertainment. Whether that describes your typical family Christmas party or your annual dentist appointment, it's always nice to be able to fold something other than a paper airplane. Simple origami pieces like a crane or a heart take less than half an hour to learn, while modular origami can take up to days to learn and create. Depending on the amount of time you have, you can learn this skill that might even turn into a party trick in the future. Just imagine the look of awe in your friends' eyes when you magically create an elephant out of a post-it note next semester.

3. A New Dish

Admit it: 90% of the meals you make in college consist of some sort of frozen food and ready-to-eat meat. Take this Winter Break and learn some quick and easy meals that you can whip up in no time so when midterms roll around again, you'll be prepared. No more ramen for days or frozen mac and cheese for every meal. A fancy meal will take a few hours, while a simple one will only take you half an hour at most.