4 Tips That Every College Student Should Use To Master Online Tests This Semester

Don't let online learning stop you from doing your best.

18
https://unsplash.com/photos/npxXWgQ33ZQ

With the semester being online due to COVID-19, transitioning to online classes may not be in the best interest of everyone. The majority of students are used to learning the material for their classes in person. I work at my college's Center for Academic Achievement and help students every day with study, organization, test-taking, and other academic skills. Here are four tips to help you tackle online test-taking!

Use the two-week approach.

Start studying for your test two weeks in advance.

Here, you will be able to have more time retaining information for your exam. If you find your exam dates on your syllabus, write them down in your planner or in your calendar. Plan out what days you will study for your exam. That way, you can dedicate your free time to studying and begin to review your material in advance.

Utilize practice tests.

If you have the option of practice tests, utilize them! Many times, they will model the format of the test closely, if not exactly!

Be familiar with your browser.

Familiarize yourself with whatever testing platform you are using.

Lockdown Browser is a common platform that is used for online testing. Before you have to take your test, make sure you have everything you need in order to practice efficiently. That way during the test, you are prepared and do not have any technical difficulties.

Study the way you learn.

Everyone has a preference in the way they learn in class. Here are some common ways that people learn!

Visual learners learn through PowerPoints and videos. Kinesthetic learners benefit from hands-on learning. Students who learn from reading and writing benefit from rewriting definitions. Auditory learners may benefit from re-watching lectures.

These are the four ways in which people learn. Discover which way you learn and study that way. Create flashcards if you are a reading and writing person, or watch videos to help you visually. Figure out what works for you!

Happy test-taking! You can do this!