Six Tips For Interning Abroad

Six Tips For Interning Abroad

As someone who participated in interning abroad, here are my top tips for you.

32
Six Tips For Interning Abroad
Pexels.com

While interning abroad isn’t as popular as studying abroad, it is just as great! Interning abroad is a very unique experience. Unlike study abroad, you spend almost all of your time in the same city. You truly become immersed in the country’s customs and culture. Also being able to say you’ve worked in another country is priceless for your resume! As someone who participated in interning abroad, here are my top tips if you choose to do the same:

1. Get started early.

The process can be very lengthy. You might have to collaborate with a few offices on campus, so it can take a while to work between all of them. There also might be a few interview processes you have to go through. In general, most applications are due by mid-March so you want to allot yourself a sufficient amount of time. The more time you allow yourself to do this, the better!

2. Pick a country where you're going to feel comfortable.

If you’ve always had the desire to go to France, but you don’t speak a lick of French, you might want to reconsider that. Language might be an issue in the workplace. Working in an English-speaking country, or where English is the business language, might be a safer option. I picked Ireland because English is the main language and I have a lot of family over there. Knowing that I would be close to family members made me feel more reassured about traveling that far.

3. Be open to ideas about your internship placement.

During one of my final interviews, I was asked what type of public relations work I would like to do abroad. I had a list of three different types; event planning, food and drink industry and a public relations firm. I gave him that list in that order and guess where I got placed; the public relations firm. At first I was extremely hesitant, considering it was my last choice. But, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Although it wasn’t my first choice, it was definitely the best choice for me.

4. Pack appropriately.

Since you’ll be interning, odds are you are going to be working about a 40-hour workweek. Most of your days will be spent in the office and with this said, make sure you pack enough work clothes! After you get your placement, make sure to email your supervisor at the internship and ask what the office attire is. Also keep in mind the weather of your country. In Ireland, it reaches maybe 70 degrees at the highest in the summer. Otherwise it was pretty chilly while I was there. Neutral colored pants/skirts are a great option. Even if you only have a few, you can mix it up with different tops.

5. Take time to get to know everyone in your office.

While at my internship, I was the only American there. Everyone else was Irish and there was one Portuguese woman. I was very lucky and worked in an office with only ten other people. It was a very close office and they often did many things together. On lunch breaks we all would get lunch together or sometimes I would meet up with some of the interns after work and hang out with them. It’s important to get to know the people in your office. They will become great connections in the future. Having connections all over the world will come in handy in the future, I promise!

6. Take advantage of every opportunity that you can.

When you’re interning abroad, chances are you are going to encounter some opportunities that you normally wouldn’t here in America. This could be hanging out with people whose first language isn’t the same as yours or even traveling to another country by yourself. Say yes to everything. If you’re working abroad by yourself, you can do anything! Take advantage of whatever you can and truly soak up the experience while you can, because you will never get another opportunity like this again.