Six Things to Remember When Going Through Recruitment

3

Say goodbye to ever having to sweat alone at the gym, cram alone for an upcoming exam, or even worse - eat alone at the campus dining commons. Rush a sorority this upcoming semester and you will become a part of an unbelievable group of girls that help keep you involved in various organizations on campus, exercise with you even with the worst hangover, and of course provide company to watch the latest Netflix series. These girls will even walk with you into the disturbing frat bathrooms at a party.

Maybe you are one of those girls that have had a lifelong dream of becoming part of a sorority and being someone's "little" while frolicking around your school's campus in all your letters. Or maybe you are one of the girls that only knows what a sorority is thanks to the movie "House Bunny." Either way, if your school has Greek organizations, you will most likely hear about them and at some point consider going through the recruitment process. Becoming a part of Greek life and being a "sister" in a sorority has been such a fulfilling life experience, but formal recruitment can be scary to a newcomer. Have no fear, though, because the following tips will help assist you during the entire process: 

1. Be yourself. Recruitment can come across as this big "girl-dating" experience in which you feel like you have to act a certain way and talk about certain things in order to come across as someone that the girl you are currently talking to likes. Obviously, when meeting new people, you may not want to talk about your ex-boyfriend cheating on you for your best friend. But at the same time, don't hide who you are to come across as what you think will be perceived as better to someone else. By being yourself, you will end up in the right sorority in the long run. 

2. Keep an open mind. It is easy to quickly fall in love with a few specific sororities right off the bat, but it is important to remember that there are other sororities that may also be great fits for you. If you set your heart on just a couple right away, you may pass up others that would actually have been awesome for you. Unfortunately, the sorority you think is your favorite may not invite you back, which can leave you feeling disappointed and discouraged. By allowing yourself to become acquainted with many different sororities, you are more likely to remain positive and cheerful throughout the process. 

3. Do not come across as the "party animal". Some girls seem to believe that if they make it known they party, they are in. This belief is far from true. Sororities are well-known for their ability to have a great time, but there are many other values sororities admire much more. Talk about your passion for reading, your beach house you have been going to since you were three, your love for Luke Bryan's ability to shake it, etc. If you come across as the sloptart that blacks out at frats and needs her sisters to come pick her up each night, you will be quickly removed from the list of girls being asked back to the sorority.

4. "Top tier" does not always mean "best tier". Who is not quickly enthralled by the concept of a sorority with the prettiest girls that socials with the "top tier" fraternities? Even though you may admire this ideal, you should not assume this as the basis for deciding which sorority to pledge. The standard of "ranking" sororities is subjective and silly, so do not get caught up in the tier system. Find a sorority where you can relate to the girls and feel you can appreciate their value on the inside. These girls are about to become your lifelong sisters. Do not allow a silly student-run system dictate where you truly belong. 

5. Remind yourself that the other side is nervous too. I did not believe this statement to be true until I was on the other side. The sororities you rush want to impress you, too. They want the girls they like to like them, similar to how you feel when you want your favorite sorority to like you. Many times, the recruiters are the ones that begin the conversations and keep them flowing smoothly. Do not think that just because they are already part of the sorority that they are not nervous about the recruitment process. 

6. Take a deep breath and relax. Each little thing you say or do not say is not as big of a deal as it seems during this hectic week. Remind yourself of all the other enjoyable aspects of your life. What is meant to happen will happen. So enjoy the new experience, and don't allow yourself to become overly stressed during the process. No matter what the outcome, you will be happy in the end!