Sisters For The Lord

Sisters For The Lord

"I promise I'm not going to join a sorority!"

72
Photo by Savanna Clardy

Coming into college, I promised my parents that I wasn't going to join a sorority. To them, it would take up too much time and leave me little room for school work, plus they always considered sororities to just be status symbols that you pay for. At first, I felt that I had missed out when I didn't attend rush week with my roommate, and I was a little curious as to what it really meant to "Go Greek." Eventually though, those feelings faded away and I got involved elsewhere on campus for my first semester. I thought, "It's too much commitment anyway. I want my time to be my time."

After Christmas had come and gone, I returned to school with a huge desire laid on my heart: I wanted more girl friends. Specifically, I really wanted a group of girls I considered to be sisters. I thought about going through spring recruitment on the Panhellenic side of things before I heard about Phi Lamb.

Sigma Phi Lambda is a non-Panhellenic, Christian sorority focused on seeking Christ first. They were so sweet when I stopped at their table in the Union, and I couldn't help but be drawn to at least look into it further. I immediately signed up for spring recruitment, and very soon after I became a new member.

One of my biggest questions about Phi Lamb was why exactly it wasn't Panhellenic and what the difference was. Basically, the founders of Phi Lamb decided they didn't want to follow the rules of a council but instead the rules of our Lord. That has been such a huge encouragement in undertaking the whole thing. Outside of that, we get to participate in all the same types of events and meetings as any other sorority. We have date parties, fun sisterhood events, and chapter every week. I even got a big, who has been so helpful and encouraging to me. Shout out to you Leigh!

My journey with Phi Lamb has just begun, but I already feel so at home with my sisters. Not only are these ladies exactly what I was looking for, but they are so much more. My prayer group leader recently got elected as our VP, and I was so excited to hear her new position be announced even though I've just met her. I can't begin to describe to you how it feels to be a part of such an amazing organization other than summing it up in the word "family." All the fears I had about commitment and worrying my parents have subsided, and I can't wait to see what comes next. Phi Lamb, I love you already.