Who Needs Boys When You're Literally Living With All Your Girls?

Two words: Sisterhood and empowerment
142

So far, one of the best decisions I’ve made in college was rushing a sorority. Although the recruitment process was hellish and draining, I don’t regret going through it. Because in the end, I wound up exactly where I was supposed to be. Since then I’ve met some amazing people and connected with girls that I know will be my lifelong friends. Being in a sorority has taught me the true meaning both female empowerment, and most importantly, sisterhood.

Despite recruitment not being the most pleasant experience, I saw a lot of female empowerment. I saw girls supporting one another. I saw girls laughing, sometimes crying, becoming close friends, even though they ended up in different sororities. This female empowerment, this idea of girls supporting and loving one another, continued in my own sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi.

When someone was having a bad day, a plethora of sisters would offer words of encouragement.

When a boy broke a sister’s heart, she always had multiple shoulders to cry on. When a girl wanted to take a risk, her sisters supported her. From these acts of kindness, support, care, and most of all empowerment, I was proud to be a part of such a great group of girls.

I’ve met so many friends too. I’ve become close with so many sweet, funny, and liable young women. I’ve shared my feelings with them, and they have with me. They’ve made me feel safe and accepted. They’ve given me an insane amount of confidence because that’s what women should do...support other women.

Give each other the confidence to pursue their dreams. Alpha Epsilon Phi has already given me that in three months, so I’m excited to see what else it can give to me, and what I can give to it.

We continue to grow as sisters, just like any sorority should. Every day we grow closer, and our bond grows stronger. There’s a lot that goes into a good sisterhood, like kindness, support, care, friendship, and above all else, empowerment.

Being in a sorority has taught me the true meaning of both female empowerment and sisterhood. I’m very proud to call myself a sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi, and I’m excited to grow and evolve with my sisters. LML.