to be or not to be a sorority girl

to be or not to be a sorority girl

I debated joining a sorority for the longest time. And you know what? I finally did, but not the kind of sorority that first comes to mind.

7
to be or not to be a sorority girl

So we all know those sororities, the girls that seem to have a signature pose and are constantly mixing with fraternities. And if we're being honest here (which we are), I didn't think I would ever be one of those girls. But, my spring semester of freshman year hit and I started feeling left out at the sight of everyone posting updates about rush and their bigs. Fall semester came around again and I honestly debated doing informal rush for a while there. Things didn't work out and as finals finished up and our month long break began, I still was not the slightest bit involved at Rutgers in any capacity.

That's where my sorority comes in.

You see, my sorority isn't like every other sorority at Rutgers. For one, its a lot smaller than say GPhi or Alpha Gam; there are probably only a little over a hundred people and honestly I would not have it any other way. I have gotten the chance to bond with almost each and every girl, creating relationships that I know will last me a lifetime. But, I guess the main difference is the fact that we focus on service. I am in a service sorority, and one that is completely hands on. I guess that is what drew my to them in the first place though. As a girl who spent years of her life volunteering within her community, it was amazing to see this wonderful group of women, who while different in their own rights, have the same mindset when it comes to the community. We are constantly out and about, focusing on different projects and fundraisers, making sure that people understand the importance of volunteering and giving back to our roots.

Even though I have only known these girls for the shortest amount of time possible, I feel like I have known them forever; it is crazy to think just how much of impact they had on my life in just a few weeks. With the coronavirus forcing Rutgers to switch over to remote learning for (hopefully just) the next few weeks, I miss them like crazy. All of the memories and hours we spent together have become a huge part of my life. As I sit here, looking through Pinterest board after Pinterest board for inspiration for my big, I cannot help but feel as though we are missing out on an experience. But, I know that when we get back to Rutgers and everything smooths over, the memories and bonds will continue to be there as if we never left.

So, Panhellenic or not, I love my sorority and that is a fact that will forever remain true.

With love,

Arielle :)